How to paint trims and baseboards without getting brush lines

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
gsahlot

How to paint trims and baseboards without getting brush lines

Post by gsahlot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi,

I am getting lot of lines when paint dries in the direction in which I ran the brush while painting baseboards and trims. It looks not possible to use a roller for trims which are like 3 inches wide. Could someone provide some tips and info on special brush so that result comes professional and without any lines? Thanks.

A. Spruce

Re: How to paint trims and baseboards without getting brush lines

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 pm

You may need to thin the paint slightly to give yourself a little more working time. A 3" or 4" roller will probably help get the material on.

What kind of brush are you using? A good quality brush (Purdy or dealer brand, which is Purdy) is your best bet.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Paint must be very thick and fast drying?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 pm
You may need to thin the paint slightly to give yourself a little more working time. A 3" or 4" roller will probably help get the material on.

What kind of brush are you using? A good quality brush (Purdy or dealer brand, which is Purdy) is your best bet.
I am using purdy brush. Hmm. Maybe the paint is thick. I bought a galon of swiss coffee paint from Kelly Moore and just started using it as is. Would that be too thick to use?

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 am

Shannon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 pm
Paint must be very thick and fast drying?
It doesn't seem to be fast drying but could be thick. How do I know how thick is not thick? Just by hit and trial method?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 am

Well, if the paint isn't workable, it's either drying too fast or it's too thick and not laying out properly. Hopefully you're working out of a pan, not the original can. Add just a touch of water, or whatever the label says to use, and thin the paint slightly. If you put a cup of paint in the pan, only use a teaspoon or two of water, mix thoroughly and try again. Repeat until the paint is workable. How much water it too much, when the paint sags before it dries.

KM is my preferred brand and I've never had any issues with it. Sometimes thinning is necessary to achieve the results you want, just thin in small increments.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 am

Also make sure your not working in front of a fan or heat source. That will speed drying possibly to much?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon