re use builders insulation blanket or not?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
lariviere

re use builders insulation blanket or not?

Post by lariviere » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Shannon,

Just found your site, thank you for all the great information. I’m currently finishing my basement and have some questions about insulating. I currently have builder installed blanket insulation four feet down, then bare concrete. My plan was to remove the blanket and use 2” rigid foam from floor to ceiling. The rim joists are already sealed with batts and accustic sealed ploy. Would I be ok to leave the rim joist as is, or should I remove and seal with rigid foam? It was also suggested to me that I could leave the bag in place and frame against it. Then just add batts and drywall. I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that approach though. I would appreciate your advice.
Thank you.

lariviere

Re: Rim Joist Insulation With Different Method Using Rigid Board

Post by lariviere » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am

Forgot to mention I’m in Windsor, so milder winters and humid summers. Would it be appropriate to not go all the way to the floor in case of basement flooding? I see a lot of people stopping about foot off the floor.
Thanks again.

Shannon

Re: Rim Joist Insulation With Different Method Using Rigid Board

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Welcome ! For sure remove the builders blanket, you don’t want to re use it.
Install your foam and seal it just like my video. Then frame the wall and insulate it as well. Some areas will allow you to skip the air/vapour barrier when you use 2” foam but that is something you should check at your local permit office. I would recommend using one but use one of the new types that will change as the conditions change.
If the hoist ends are done and sealed they will be fine left alone.
I have never understood why some people have recommended leaving insulation up off the floor. There are other options you could use for the bottom foot or so and that would be more rigid foam incase you get flooded.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon