Basement Windows

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
nailzz

Basement Windows

Post by nailzz » Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 am

Hello Shannon,

I am now to the point where I am finishing the basement windows. I believe I know how to do it but thought I would run it by you for clarification and tips.

Around the window, I will be ripping finishing wood and making a box to fit from the drywall back to the window.

I can nail the wood to the framed studs at the "front" of the box, but how do I attach the the finishing wood to the window sil? My thoughts are to ensure it rests flush and then run a bead of caulk sealing the finishing wood to the window. Is this a normal way to do it? Any other options?

A concern that I have is if I ever have problems with the window and it needs replaced, I think I would then need to tear up the finishing wood and some drywall as it will all be attached to the window. Obviously if there is window damage the collateral damage would be a minor issue.

Thanks once again!

Shannon

Re: Basement Windows

Post by Shannon » Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm

If you get it secure to the framing towards the inner edge like you said then a bit of caulking at the window will work fine. If ever removing that window just cut the caulking with a knife and remove the window, should come out fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 pm

sorry to hi jack the thread but i'm also in the same boat but curious about what type of wood to use around basement windows. is MDF a good choice or what would be best?
thank you

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 am

I'm assuming you are talking about the finished jams. MDF is used a fair bit because it is cheap to purchase and easy to paint, the problem is most small basement windows are not as good of quality as the larger ones used on other floors and tend to have condensation on them in colder climates in the winter. That moisture eventually runs off and sits on the finished frames and swells them a little when those frames are made from MDF. I like to use pine or even melamine the pine does not swell and melamine is not as likely to swell with smaller amounts of moisture.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 am

sorry, it is for the finished jams.
thanks again for your help.