Basement Floor wet rings

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
oxide

Basement Floor wet rings

Post by oxide » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:45 am

2 years ago i covered a section in my basement with self leveling, this past summer i noticed some wet rings and possible mold forming as well. i ran the dehumidifier in this area all summer long and nothing seemed to help.

i am wondering if cleaning the areas then sealing it with a coating will that stop it from coming up/out?

there is no other problems with my existing basement floor even near my sump pump

Shannon

Re: Basement Floor wet rings

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:09 pm

There is nothing I know of that will stop this. I would guess that there is not a very good layer of gravel under your pad to help it drain well so pockets of moisture are weeping through the concrete. Adding another sump pit closer to this area could help. I would suggest looking at a product like "Dri-core". It is a 2'x2' wood panel with a dimpled plastic bottom that fits together to cover your floor and allows it to breath and dry out when it can. You then install your flooring over that. These panels also tend to keep your floor feeling warmer .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:50 pm

would leaving a panel/or section open so the air flow or suction from the furnace be helpful to?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:38 am

I guess it would not hurt if you have an area that does not need the dricore completely finished.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Pawistik

Post by Pawistik » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:45 am

The mould that is mentioned - is it actually mould or is it salt leeching through the concrete? It seems much more likely to me that it's salt.

If it's actually mould it should look and feel soft. It seems more likely that water containing salt from the ground or from the concrete itself is reaching the surface of the concrete, some of the water evapourates and that salt is left behind. It's a tiny amount of salt in the water, but it builds up as the water is evapourating from the concrete continually.

Bryan

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Very good point Brian. You are right, in a way it can kind of look like white mould but when you touch it you realize it is powder or crystals.

oxide

Post by oxide » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 pm

there is no mould/fuzz so i guess it could be a salty residue then. thanks guys.