Foundation/Framing Question (with pictures)

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Ameds

Foundation/Framing Question (with pictures)

Post by Ameds » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:07 am

Hello everyone,

My questions pertains to the lack of a sill plate gasket that I've noticed during the construction of my new home. I have attached a couple of pictures as reference.

It appears that the building code allows for builders to skip on the sill plate gasket if the area in question is at least 150mm above grade - which appears to be the case here. However, I believe they must still use treated lumber whenever it's in contact with masonry (i.e. concrete foundation) - which doesn't seem to be the case here.

I would appreciate everyone's opinion on whether this should be brought up with the builder. Any pros and cons to not using the sill plate gasket in this scenario? Also, feel free to let me know if you notice anything else that appears fishy from the construction work in the pictures.

Thanks!
Attachments
Framing  1.jpg
Framing 1.jpg (237.8 KiB) Viewed 401 times
Framing 2.jpg
Framing 2.jpg (310.18 KiB) Viewed 401 times
Framing 1.jpg
Framing 1.jpg (331.08 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Shannon

Re: Foundation/Framing Question (with pictures)

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:36 am

Well first off ,sill gasket would have been nice as it also acts as a seal for drafts between the concrete and wood. Its not the end of the world though as you can ask them to use a good quality flexible caulk on the exterior at that joint to help seal the joint. I suggest a products like Flextra (Mulco), Bigstretch (Sashco), or Dynaflex (Dap).
As far as the standard spruce lumber sitting on concrete ,it is generally accepted above grade however placing the foam gasket between the two would have been a better practice.
So as far as I can see here they have done what they are allowed. The only thing I really do not like is the way they have spand over the windows on the along wall I would rather see a actual header there but your windows would have had to have been shorter in height or make the basement walls slightly taller to accommodate. From my figuring there will be at least one if not two joist sitting on that area over the windows. IMO I would have had a 3ply 2x4 header (a 2ply 2x6 would have been better) with only the second top plate across the top of it. This would have made the window opening only 1/2" lower and they could have accommodated that by making the opening slightly lower at the bottom. I wish at the very least they would have had that inside 2x6 over top of the side 2x6s and used construction adhesive to sandwich them all together to form a kind of glue laminated beam.
I would maybe contact your inspector to be sure that the way they did it will pass before that get going to far? It can't hurt to be sure.
I hate to pick on other peoples work but this could be a safety issue down the road.

I would like to see what Spruces opinion is on this also if he reads this today.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:27 am

Where I am, treated lumber sills are a must, as are headers over windows. The only thing I can think of with the windows is that the band joist will be considered enough to carry any weight over the window, not preferred, but probably ok. I have not done much new construction, so I can't speak to the requirement of sill gasket, definitely a good idea, though houses have been built for centuries without them and been just fine.

I agree about talking to the inspector/building department, this is a double edged sword, however. On the one hand, you want to make sure your home is being built correctly, on the other, you don't really want to bring much into question because the petty bureaucratic regime loves to make your life hell over nothing, not to mention pissing off your builder at the heightened scrutiny. I'd start by chatting with the builder, ask him your questions first, why the lack of header and no PT sill or gasket. If he blows you off, go to the building department immediately, if he satisfies your concerns, let it go. Ultimately, the builder has to get his work past the inspector anyway, otherwise he gets to do it over again, on his dime.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Ameds

Post by Ameds » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you to Shannon and Spruce for the detailed information. It's much appreciated. I think I'll gather as much information as I can, and meet with the builder cordially and mention my concerns. I already had a chat with them about some honeycombing I saw on the foundation, so I definitely take Spruce's point about not pissing off the builder with my heightened scrutiny, but I want my home to be built properly.

cheers!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:20 am

Your scrutiny will be a minor irritant, I was referring to the building department becoming a significant pain in his behind.

IMHO, it is the tradesman's job to make sure you know and understand everything that is going on with YOUR project. If you have questions, they should have solid answers for you, without placating or putting you off. Remember, it is your house and your money, that means that YOU are the boss, and deserve good answers.

Ameds

Post by Ameds » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Update:

I am posting a follow up picture following Shannon and Spruce's helpful comments above about the lack of headers on the basement windows.

I have attached a photo of the latest development with the framing. Any feedback on how they proceeded?

Thanks and i appreciate the help.
Attachments
20161016_153659.jpg
20161016_153659.jpg (519.6 KiB) Viewed 350 times
20161016_153759.jpg
20161016_153759.jpg (531.29 KiB) Viewed 350 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 pm

From the pix, they made no changes what-so-ever. What is going on with the house wrap, why is it tucked inside the framing along the top edge of the knee walls when it should extend to the bottom of the sill plates all along the foundation line.

What was said to the contractor, and what was his response?

Ameds

Post by Ameds » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi Spruce

I didn't meet with the builder yet. I wanted wait for the next series of developments. It doesnt look like much has been improved so i will request a meeting and post the results on here afterwards.

Thanks!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:19 pm

I see they did not address any header issue. In reality as long as there is no joint in the rim joists over the window opening they would help a lot in carrying the loads above the window, personally I would still have built a header there. Maybe they have the rim joist doubled over the windows? Can't tell by the pics.
Not sure why the wrap is wrapped inside the basement either? Really makes no sense to seperatly wrap the rim? I don't think it really hurts anything but not sure why they would
Do it.
I think you should politely approach the builder with your concerns before things get to far along .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Shannon wrote:Not sure why the wrap is wrapped inside the basement either? Really makes no sense to seperatly wrap the rim? I don't think it really hurts anything but not sure why they would
Do it.
The way I see it is that it invites water intrusion at that joint. If they ran it to the bottom of the sill as it is supposed to be, then it would sluff any water that got on/behind the wrap.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Shannon wrote:Not sure why the wrap is wrapped inside the basement either? Really makes no sense to seperatly wrap the rim? I don't think it really hurts anything but not sure why they would
Do it.
The way I see it is that it invites water intrusion at that joint. If they ran it to the bottom of the sill as it is supposed to be, then it would sluff any water that got on/behind the wrap.

Ya I'm assuming they will install wrap over the entire wall surfaces after?? No reason to have the rim wrapped up?