Basement Wall & Floor Insulation-For NorthEast America NY state

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
hcpatel78

Basement Wall & Floor Insulation-For NorthEast America NY state

Post by hcpatel78 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Great video Shannon... I always watch your videos and work on my house.....HI, I am living in Northern USA near NY state. Just bought a house and has cinder block foundation. House was built in 2007. I felt so cold in the basement and the first floor in winter when there are below 30 degrees F. temperature outside. I am planning to insulate basement walls with this hybrid method. I am just done by insulating all rim joist with foam board and spray foam. Do you think by insulating walls will give me any energy saving? if so then how much? Also wondering how I can insulate the concrete floor? could you please help me to do floor too.
Also, i have 3" PVC drain line running against the wall at a midway height around 4" from the floor. That is attached to the wall with steel strap. For that wall how to attached foam board to keep fully insulated wall. ? Also wondering how to frame around that drain pipe which is running in lengthwise almost 25 feet.?
Thanks..Hiren

Shannon

Re: Basement Wall & Floor Insulation-For NorthEast America NY state

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Glad you have been watching our videos.

Insulating the basement walls will for sure help your cold home warm up. I'm not sure on the exact $$ amount you will save in heating but look at it this way it will for sure keep the cold out and $$ in your pocket. I know the cost to finish the walls is $$ also bout if this is your home and you will be there a few more winters you will recoup some of that $$ and the comfort level of your home will increase as well.
As for the floor I personally do not think that is as much of an energy loss as much as it is a comfort thing. there are a few things you can do but it depends on your needs and budget . In most cases if you have a dry basement, just adding a carpet with a under pad will help a lot. If your basement is a little damp then products like Dricore may be a good fit under your flooring.

For that drain pipe all you can really do is install the foam board to the pipe and seal the gaps if there is not room between it and the concrete. And for the best finished look I would suggest framing the wall out in front of the pipe to completely hide it if possible. I assume this is only a drain pipe and it holds hop water so that should be ok.

Hope this gets you some ideas on where to start
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:29 am

Thank you Shannon,
I am trying to stay away from carpet as I had a bad experience in past with water heater leak in past in one of my previous house. I am thinking to put some rigid foam and plywood and then engineering wood. If you have any video or guideline for that then it will help me lot

I will also make separate room in the corner for the utility (Water softner, Water Heater).
The floor next to walls on the first floor above basement remains cold. That was bothering me. I still having big cavity after I air sealed rim joist in the basement with Foam board and spray foam around the periphery. I had fiberglass insulation stuffed in by the contractor. I have removed that now to air sealed. I wanted to put some more insulation so that cold won't transfer to the first floor. please suggest me best thing. I have enough budget for this job because we have 2800 SQ.ft house and the December heating cost was $250 for the whole house. FYI I have 2 zones central heating with Natural Gas furnace. The November heating cost was 180. I have also planned to apply more insulation (R30 Unfaced) in the attic. Right now attic has insulation in between joist and looks like that is R19.
Anything you suggest that will be a great help. I know you dealing with bitter cold in CANADA than us here in (NY-USA), so you have definitely best idea what to do in this case.
Thanks in advance...
Hiren

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Make sure your WH has a pan under it that is drained to a floor drain.
I have never used rigid foam and plywood on a concrete floor but it is for sure done. I would use at least 5/8" T&G plywood. You should be able to use something like maybe Tapcon screws to anchor it down every 2' I would suggest.
The cold floor around the edges is pretty much a given especially if you have flooring other then carpet. Much of that cold is from convection through all the framing in that area from the exterior. Also because the area below in the joist ends is still a cold zone. Insulating the joist ends will help for sure but will not completely leave you with warm floor edges.I have never done it but I suppose adding 2" foam to the under side of the floor in those spaces would help? Hmmm, ya that should help insulate the floor above from the cold zone. So 2" rigid foam on underside of floor area, batt foam under that and another 2" rigid foam to seal the inside face of the cavity. I have a video, all that is missing in it would be the foam under the floor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gmGCwlJqg

Wow R19 is for sure not enough in the attic, You are loosing a lot of heat right through the ceiling and out the roof. R 50-60 is my recommendation. Up here blow in insulation is used a lot in attic areas.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Thank you Shannon for great advise. One more question is that I have Rheem powervent WH in basement. It has PVC 3"exhaust pipe outside. When the heater is in idle the cold air is flowing back from flue pipe. It happens more when outside is windy. Looking for permanent solution so it won't happen. I have high efficiency gas air furnace which has its own inlet manifold from outside for combination air.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 pm

don't think there is really a fix for that. You could check with a plumbing shop to see if adding a 90* elbow outside would be ok. That would keep direct winds from blowing in. I do not think you are allowed to but may be worth checking into.

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am

As I was thinking this heater has blower motor (Power Vented) for the exhaust, can i put the backdraft damper on exhaust like this?
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-RSK4 ... Arya8P8HAQ
The power vent will open the damper and once the blower is off the damper will close itself which will prevent back drafting.
Also, my heater has reached it's the end of life (10-year-old), So would you prefer one heater which has separate intake and exhaust pipe for the heater?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 pm

I have never seen a damper on a vent for a WH or furnace. Think it would freeze up IMO. Best to talk to a plumber on this. I believe most furnaces now are 1 exhaust vent and 1 combustion air vent .
ten yrs does not sound like much for a furnace?

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry i confused you. I am talking about domestic WH. (not air Furnace for room heat)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

oh sorry I thought you were talking about your furnace at the end of your post.
Again check with your plumber on venting option best suited for your situation. things like that are changing and I am not completely up on all the options, sorry I could not help more.

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:58 pm

No problem Shannon. You doing good work for humanity to help people by making video and running this forum. I greatly appreciate your time , effort and sacrifice for this help. May God will give you strength, wealth and good health for endless period of time.
Thanks again.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks for the nice comments and for watching and supporting what we do here.