Attic Moisture

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
markmarkham

Attic Moisture

Post by markmarkham » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 am

Hi Shannon, great youtube videos.

I noticed a wet spot that dried on the ceiling in my 2nd floor bedroom.

I went to the attic to look at the area above the wet spot. I noticed that the vapour barrier was wet, and that surrounding area insulation was also wet. The moisture appeared to have leaked through the vapour barrier and that sheetrock/drywall is wet.

What can cause moisture like this? It appears that a large area, the insulation at the bottom is wet or damp.

Shannon

Re: Attic Moisture

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 am

I would suspect a roof leak? Or if you live in a cold area there could be snow that has blown into the attic from a nearby roof vent and then melted on a warm day?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:35 am

An improperly vented bathroom exhaust fan is another culprit
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:16 pm

A. Spruce wrote:An improperly vented bathroom exhaust fan is another culprit
Yes that is true. I have seen fans installed with little or no duct even installed just venting right into the insulation
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

markmarkham

Post by markmarkham » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am

Hi shannon

On further inspection. Its actually a cracked abs pipe that is leaking water in the attic.

Can you recommend a good plumper in toronto area?
Attachments
20170118_082838.jpg
20170118_082838.jpg (457.99 KiB) Viewed 757 times

markmarkham

Post by markmarkham » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 am

Here is another photo. What would cause a crack like this??

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 am

So that would be a plumbing vent . If I am seeing it right the crack is on the bottom near that rafter cross piece? I would suspect that the pie is not sloped properly and moisture collected in it over time and then froze and split the pipe. This could be fixed by you if you have a saw to cut out the section of split pipe (inspect it carefully) then glue on a 3" coupler at each end of the old pipe you cut and cut a new section of 3" pipe to fit. After it is all repaired then be sure to raise this end of the pipe and use some metal strapping to attach the pipe to the wood rafter to hold it in place. This will allow any moisture to run back down the pipe to the sewer drain. You want about 1/4" to 1/2" of slope per foot in this case, unlike a actual water drain pipe too much slope should not be an issue.If the vertical piece of pipe going through the roof is all 3" as well and is not reduced down right near the underside of the roof it should push through the roof flashing but may need sealing outside after depending on the type of roof flashing you have.
I was very surprised to see this was a 3" pipe that froze and broke, there must be a big change in elevation from the end that goes back down in the house to this end for it to fill with water.
A plumber may be needed if you are not comfortable with this type of thing. I'm sorry but I do not know the Toronto area plumbers at all.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm

markmarkham wrote:Here is another photo. What would cause a crack like this??
It's possible that water accumulation froze, but I find this fairly unlikely in a vent in the attic. I'd more be willing to bet that there was torsional stress on the pipe and that normal thermal expansion and contraction finally took its toll.

At any rate, as Shannon suggests, this is an easy repair that you could do yourself if you were so inclined. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:50 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
markmarkham wrote:Here is another photo. What would cause a crack like this??
It's possible that water accumulation froze, but I find this fairly unlikely in a vent in the attic. I'd more be willing to bet that there was torsional stress on the pipe and that normal thermal expansion and contraction finally took its toll.

At any rate, as Shannon suggests, this is an easy repair that you could do yourself if you were so inclined. 8-)
You make a good point I find it hard to believe a 3" pipe would actually freeze and break but if it is not sloped enough cold climates cause a lot of condensation in vents . I have my 2" freeze closed during real cold snaps in the vertical section before it leaves the attic if we do a fair bit of laundry and such during that time.
Stress on this pipe could be the cause but its an odd spot . If there was a strap right there holding it I would be more inclined to think that was the cause, but who knows for sure without seeing everything involved.

markmarkham

Post by markmarkham » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:51 pm

20170118_145037.jpg
20170118_145037.jpg (490.61 KiB) Viewed 733 times
I cleared out insulation and took a wider picture.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm going to stick to my answer and say that it is a stress fracture. Most likely what happened was that the elbow wasn't perfectly aligned with the change in direction which cause the pipe to have a twisting force applied to it. Over time with heat/freeze cycles, the pipe finally gave way.

Fix is simple enough, cut either side of the damage, install couplers on each end and fill in with a new section of pipe. Now, you will want to take a minimum of 6" of pipe past the damaged point, because you can't see hairline cracking, you want to make sure you get all of it. Because of this, you might want to replace the elbow as well. That would make the materials list two couplers, an elbow, and a section of pipe. Don't forget the glue.

You can cut the pipe with a hacksaw, crosscut saw, or sawzall, just be careful you don't bang the pipe around too much which can cause problems elsewhere, as well as beating on the joists will cause fastener pops on the sheetrock below. Get yourself a few boards or sturdy piece of plywood to sit on and work from, as kneeling on those joists is absolutely no fun and it encourages you to rest your feet on the drywall, which leads to falling through the ceiling.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 am

Wow I was totally fooled by your previous picture I was sure that was a horizontal pipe meeting up to a vertical one going through the roof.
Regardless , the repair is pretty simple as Spruce described.

markmarkham

Post by markmarkham » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:22 pm

What kind of insulation should I be buying?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Personal preference, really. Since you have blown, and it looks like the surrounding areas are a little light and could use another layer, I'd be inclined to stick with blown. You could just as easily go with batts. Whatever you use, wear a mask, long sleeves and gloves, fiberglass ain't no fun to bathe in.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm not sold on what the problem was to begin with.

Stress on the joint ... plausible, if there was stress on it !

Condensation build up ... plausible, if your in -20 to -30 temps !
In this case, I've seen vent stacks that don't have any slope, or negative slope, and over time and the right conditions, ice can build up in there ! ... Helpful to know what area you are in ;)

If it was me, I'd make sure that when you repair, make sure you have some slope, and don't stress the joints when you repair.

But I'm also no plumber :oops:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Absolutely you need to be sure there is slope to this pipe so that it drains back down the main line where it came up.Like Wayne and I have said condensation collects in there and if it is not sloped you will have troubles. I seldom see a vent pipe laying flat down in the insulation, usually they will come up into the attic and then angle over to where they are headed through the air not laying down. I do not know the exact reason why this is laying down and not heading up through the roof?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:50 pm

BTW Blown in insulation is what I would do and I agree, in the picture it sure appears you are no where close to having enough in that attic. I do not know where you are but here in Saskatchewan I would want to see at least 14"-20" of blown in before I would say its even close to enough.

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Shannon,
I have the same problem in my attic. 2 weeks ago I went to do some insulation and at that day was rainy. Found water on the OSB next to that joint. The pipe is for drainage ventilation. The water was coming from the roof in the pipe. Interestingly I just applied spray foam around a pipe to fill the hole in the attic. And next week saw water. So, it seems the foam compress the pipe enogh next to joint and water is seeping from there. Also, i remark that I can't see purple primer at that joint, seems like contractor forgot to glue that joint. I have to cut the section and fix it. please see attached picture for the same. For time being I just wrap old bath towel to prevent water drop in drywall ceiling.
Attachments
IMG_20170123_202435.jpg
IMG_20170123_202435.jpg (392.71 KiB) Viewed 673 times
IMG_20170123_201947.jpg
IMG_20170123_201947.jpg (437.85 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Last edited by hcpatel78 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes if that joint was not glued then the spray foam may have compressed it enough to cause some moisture leakage but I find that hard to believe. Regardless the un glued joint is for sure a problem. You may be able to simply pull the joint apart and glue and re-insert into fitting . I would use lots of glue on both pieces.

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 am

I will try that way. Afraid of stressing out next joints. Will update once done. Now a days so cold so waiting for the warm weather. Thanks for your advise.