Basement, next step to take...

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
oxide

Basement, next step to take...

Post by oxide » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:44 am

So i finally got the courage and $ to spray foam the basement. turned out awesome.
Question is what do i tackle next and in what order is best, drywall, floors, ceiling?
All the wiring and lighting is in place already.

Shannon

Re: Basement, next step to take...

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:14 am

So this was a professional company or you did it yourself? What thickness is it? Closed cell?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 am

professional, closed cell 2" well a bit more in some areas, all joist pockets to

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:54 am

Well depending on your local code you likely will be good to have it inspected and then drywall. If you are doing drywall ceilings then that would be hung first then the walls . If you are doing suspended ceilings then the wall drywall and painting would be next then the ceilings.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:23 pm

clearance from floor to the bottom of the joist is 6' 5" and under my beams is 5'11".
for low ceilings like this would you recommend drywall/suspended ceilings or any other types of materials?

the joists are uneven in some places even after a couple years of slow adjustments, its an 100 year old home

i was curious about doing slats with the old school looking tin sheets for space wise.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:04 pm

If you drywall you will be lowering the height by about 1-1/2" because you will need to strap the ceiling with 1x4s and then shim them so they are level and flat to adjust for the joists .
If you use suspended ceiling and use 2'x2' tiles you will lower the overall height by about 3-4 inches usually. So I guess it depends what you think about the ceiling height. The suspended ceiling would be the easiest to do.

oxide

Post by oxide » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:24 pm

great thank you for the insight.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:01 pm

you are welcome

FTLOSM

Post by FTLOSM » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Shannon, have you ever seen the product called "ceilingmax"? I am considering using it in my basement in the future, basically a way to keep that height as high as possible, I have rafters that are at 89" right now but I am 6'6" tall, so i'd like to keep as much height as possible, the stuff looked kinda neat (and hopefully not too hard to use).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVM5VgbSXE

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:49 pm

I have never seen that before but did watch the video.
Looks like it would be ok as long as all your joists are at the same level and not to different from each other. Usually they are not perfect and that may make that system get kind of wavy? Not sure hat to really say, It would save you about 2-3 inches of height compared to regular suspended ceiling systems

Ntracy23

Post by Ntracy23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 am

In the basement work that you've done, are suspended ceilings more common than drywall? In the process of beginning basement work and am debating. I like the looks and ceiling height benefits of drywall, but of course see all the benefits of drop. Thoughts? Thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

I see both. It really comes down to what you want. A drop ceiling is easier,cleaner and faster for most people to install instead of mudding and sanding over your head. If you do not put a value on your time drywall is cheaper .
My feeling is if you have much for plumbing in that ceiling that you may need access to in the future then drop is the way to go. For sure if you have electrical junction boxes in the joist system then the drop is the way to go as they can not be closed in and left un accessible

Ntracy23

Post by Ntracy23 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:40 am

Thank you!