Closet remodel - drywall or plywood

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
RICHat22

Closet remodel - drywall or plywood

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Another remodel question on my 1940's house. I don't have 16" centered studs.

I completely tore down and rebuilt a closet that was horribly inadequate in build quality and was added later in life. I was planning on going back with 1/2" drywall like the rest of the house. But I will be leaving out the pipe hanger rod and adding a shelving or drawer unit of some sort. Probably drawers or shelves on each side with hanger space in the middle. I thought I can put 5/8" or 3/4" plywood back up instead of drywall for about $20 extra. Sand, finish, and paint like drywall. My thoughts were that this will keep me from being constrained by the cross bracing and have good wood to attach to anywhere I want to put a screw. Does this sound reasonable?

Sorry it's sideways. Not sure how to fix it on the forum.
Attachments
20170131_174827[1].jpg
20170131_174827[1].jpg (306.6 KiB) Viewed 417 times

A. Spruce

Re: Closet remodel - drywall or plywood

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes, you can use plywood, I'd recommend sanded, then you can treat it exactly like drywall, tape, texture, and paint and nobody will know the difference.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Cool. BC sanded was what I was looking at. I think I'll go 5/8" to save the $9. Surely with multiple fasteners it will hold whatever I want, especially if I need to go into framing.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:04 pm

RICHat22 wrote:Cool. BC sanded was what I was looking at. I think I'll go 5/8" to save the $9. Surely with multiple fasteners it will hold whatever I want, especially if I need to go into framing.
Agreed, though in preparation for this, I'd make sure you get fasteners into the studs, not just the battens.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Agreed, though in preparation for this, I'd make sure you get fasteners into the studs, not just the battens.
Good point. I have not thought this completely through yet as it was a new idea that just popped a couple minutes ago. But I promise to be an overachiever in every way possible.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:21 pm

I did some playing around and decided BC sanded 1/2" was plenty strong and smooth enough, although I will still hit studs when doing my shelves/drawers. It turned out pretty good for a non-carpenter in an old house. Well enough that I am doing the same in the next bedroom. Also found a double sided fireplace in there covered by paneling and a closet added like the last room. Old closet removed and will build new one on the other side of the room to possibly accent the FP. Also walled up a weird corner in there and put a door to dining/kitchen area as another pantry. Been busy this month.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Plywood will allow a very good solid substrate to attach anything to in that closet.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon