Subfloor preparation for tiles and hardwood

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
dzak83

Subfloor preparation for tiles and hardwood

Post by dzak83 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 am

Hi,
In my old house I have old wood boards as a sub-floor (please see the pictures). As I am remodeling, I want to install new hardwoods around the house and tiles + floor heating in the bathroom. I am looking for the recommendation how to support it and prepare better.

How would you recommend to prepare my sub-floor for:
1. hardwoods in the living room. I thought about screwing plywood 1/2 around the house on top of the wood boards and then hardwood on top like in your video.
2. bathroom for floor heating and tiles. My best idea is to screw cement board without mortar and seal the joints, put heating and tiles on top and hope it won't crack.

The wholes between the wood boards are sometimes big enough so I can see the downstairs.

I am looking forward to some good advice.

Thanks!
Jacek
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (429.68 KiB) Viewed 263 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (432.24 KiB) Viewed 263 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (544.97 KiB) Viewed 263 times

Jmaclicious

Re: Subfloor preparation for tiles and hardwood

Post by Jmaclicious » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:13 am

dzak83 wrote:Hi,
In my old house I have old wood boards as a sub-floor (please see the pictures). As I am remodeling, I want to install new hardwoods around the house and tiles + floor heating in the bathroom. I am looking for the recommendation how to support it and prepare better.

1. hardwoods in the living room. I thought about screwing plywood 1/2 around the house on top of the wood boards and then hardwood on top like in your video.
2. bathroom for floor heating and tiles. My best idea is to screw cement board without mortar and seal the joints, put heating and tiles on top and hope it won't crack.

The wholes between the wood boards are sometimes big enough so I can see the downstairs.

Thanks!
Jacek
Have you looked into the product from DITRA called DITRA HEAT, they have a mat that is underlayment for tile that prevents cracking, as well acts as vapor barrier.. and can put heat cable right on it.

Also When i did my hardwoods (engineered) I cant remember if I used 1/2 or 3/4" plywood, my subfloor was in good condition though.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:24 am

dzak83 wrote:Hi,

Thanks!
Jacek
The 1/2" plywood over the existing sub floor is the way to go under the hardwood and tile areas. I would then use the Ditra Heat system over the plywood in the bathroom like "Jmaclicious" mentioned. The Ditra Heat is made by Schluter.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

dzak83

Post by dzak83 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Thank you Jmaclicious and Shannon for quick answers! I will read more about DITRA products. It looks like what I need. :)

How would you install the plywood, would you screw the plywood the same way as cement boards, every 6 – 8 inches or different pattern? Would you use any specific screws or sth like this: (2-in interior wood to wood) http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rite-2- ... /204959257 should be enough?

And last question, should I go with OSB or there are better quality plywoods for subfloor? I am fine paying more if it will last longer.

Thanks again for the answers. As I am doing full remodeling, I think I watched like 70% of your videos, they are great!

Thanks,
Jacek

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 am

I would use plywood myself and not OSB, it is better IMO for this. Screw the plywood to the joists and also a row between the joists . Those screws are perfect.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

dzak83

Post by dzak83 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks!