hanging a new door

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
bakesta

hanging a new door

Post by bakesta » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I searched all of Shannon's youtube videos but did not find one on hanging an interior door where you build your own case and measure and rout your own hinge cuts on the case and the door.

I'm sure there are some tricks and just wondered if anyone could point me to a useful video or some good directions.

thanks

Shannon

Re: hanging a new door

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:06 pm

We do not have a video on this, mostly because it is so much easier ,even for the pros to buy pre hung doors.
Doing your own hinge machining can be a bit of a process and there are jigs out there that you can buy ranging from really cheap but effective for a door or two ,to expensive professional jigs used commercially. You can also build a jig of your own which can take some time to prefect but save some cash as well. Also be sure the radius of the router bit you use matches the profile of the hinges if they have round corners.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:08 pm

One more hint. When setting the router depth be sure not to go to deep or too shallow. You want the face of the hinge flush to the top surface of the door edge or jamb surface.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

bakesta

Post by bakesta » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks Shannon! It's a long story but I had to do my own hinges. It definitely is easier to do pre-hung. I'm fighting with one set now and I will try to find a cheap jig for the second set.

Appreciate the advice!

Eb

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:06 pm

bakesta wrote:Thanks Shannon! It's a long story but I had to do my own hinges. It definitely is easier to do pre-hung. I'm fighting with one set now and I will try to find a cheap jig for the second set.

Appreciate the advice!

Eb

Other option is buy pre-hung (unbored and a plain solid core) door if you are using them to cut them down a lot.