Fixing old damaged window jambs ?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jmaclicious

Fixing old damaged window jambs ?

Post by Jmaclicious » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Really want to save myself headache and mess with my mother in laws window... the person who did something to the window looks like they damaged the jamb framing and the drywall and she wants trim put on... are the jambs replaceable to make them flush with the end of the drywall without damaging everything so I can put trim up to hide the broken drywall pieces?

Thanks for the help !!
Attachments
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG (517.55 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG (442.67 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG (495.26 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG (456.9 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG (474.1 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Shannon

Re: Fixing old damaged window jambs ?

Post by Shannon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:12 pm

replacing the jambs is not do able. Just add strips of wood the thickness you need to extend the jambs out to the drywall face and then install the trim.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Shannon wrote:replacing the jambs is not do able. Just add strips of wood the thickness you need to extend the jambs out to the drywall face and then install the trim.
Thanks Shannon, crap.. so would the best option be wood like 1x4 ripped to width then install trim... but where the edge of the jamb would meet the wood, how would you hide that seam? I suppose with wood it would be easier to use a wood filler with the existing jamb, sand and paint ? :ugeek:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 pm

I generally set it back slightly and leave a reveal instead of trying to get it flush. About 1/8" to 1/4". The window trim would then be left back from that saw ell to leave another reveal.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 02, 2017 12:27 pm

It looks like you can simply overlay the existing jamb with new material that is wide enough to be flush with the wall surface. It looks like there is a 3/4" square molding right up against the window, I would but the jamb overlay against that, or remove that piece if it's not part of the window and run the new jamb all the way to the window, depending on how things are assembled there. It may also be that the trim at the window is hiding a gap between the jamb and the window, if this is the case, then the existing jambs can simply be removed and replaced. The pics are not clear as to what the window construction is.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.