Drywall ceiling on resilient channel

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
KenMc

Drywall ceiling on resilient channel

Post by KenMc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Shannon.

I'm using resilient channel and roxul to sound dampen a basement ceiling. My question is do you still make the wall drywall butt tight to the ceiling or should you leave a gap? I'm not using res channel on the walls.

A. Spruce

Re: Drywall ceiling on resilient channel

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:14 pm

I'd butt it tight, by the time you tape the joint it will be a solid joint anyway. Butting it tight will prevent cracking later.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

KenMc

Post by KenMc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Yes and that's what I was worried about. My concern is that you'll lose the resiliency for sound absorbsion.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:21 pm

It shouldn't be an issue, because of the mass of the intersecting wall/ceiling/floor, you'd have less vibratory movement anyway.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Yes I agree butt it tight
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

guarddog

Post by guarddog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 am

Not sure if it is cool to bring up an old thread like this here, but I came searching for exactly this topic.

I am going to be starting an apartment remodel and and planning to take down the existing ceiling and do extensive soundproofing.

Part of it will be to use Resilient Channel, planning to use a local Canadian supplier.

I have read online different places (nothing from a supplier) that you should leave a small gap where the ceiling drywall would contact the wall so the ceiling can move. Filling the gap with acoustic caulk.

This got me thinking about the joint, my idea was to somehow NOT use a joint on the ceiling/wall connection. Somehow finish the drywall so the flexible caulking is the finish.

I see the opinion above, but is there a way I can finish the ceiling drywall without joining it to the wall? Some type of trim piece I could use? I am going to be spending about $4,000 on materials alone do do this soundproofing and don't want to be doing something that will negate my efforts.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:17 am

Take a look @ Fry Reglet product DRMCT-50-50 it is a wall to ceiling trim that is also used as a finish screed for drywall it has a 1/2 inch reveal @ wall & ceiling intersection can be left open or caulked.
This will not show any cracking as it isolates the wall & ceiling.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am

I would at least caulk the ceiling wall joint for fire purposes, after that crown molding nailed to the wall and caulked to the ceiling will not only hide the joint, it will still act as a decoupler. It sounds like the product that Clarence recommends is similar concept, I've not seen or use it, so I can comment.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Ive seen a lot of things like Clarence mentioned used in commercial construction but not in residential. With home theatres and such being more common all the time maybe they are used in residential more and more also.
My suggestion would have been to install crown moulding to the ceiling and let it just sit against the wall?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

guarddog

Post by guarddog » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, I went and researched DRMCT-50-50. I think that would create a hard link between the wall and the ceiling that I want to avoid. On top of that I almost freaked when I saw the price!

They had a nice cross section in their literature how the 50-50 would be installed, I am including it here.
50-50.jpg
50-50.jpg (38.2 KiB) Viewed 170 times
After seeing their cross section, I came up with the idea of using a paper faced metal corner bead. I did up my own cross section.
cornerbead.jpg
cornerbead.jpg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 170 times
In my design the ceiling hangs slightly below the drywall of the wall, mounted to the floor joists on resilient channel.

To finish the raw (and uneven) edges of the drywall, I could embed a metal corner bead along the edge. Only one side would actually be mudded to the ceiling drywall, just to create a straight edge along the wall. Then I would caulk between the wall and the corner bead to close whatever small gap is there.

I will be using two layers of 5/8 drywall so that would be plenty of space to allow the unfixed corner bead to be pushed up in the space between the ceiling and wall.

This should be cheap, use standard drywall installation techniques and allow me a clean edge with no physical contact to the wall.

Anyone see a potential problem here?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 am

They make a piece for what you wanna do in your example.
http://www.vinylcorp.com/products/drywa ... perforated

But the corner bead may work as well.