interior door do not close

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
italianguy

interior door do not close

Post by italianguy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am

I have follow the step by step , video how to remove and replace a door interior,
is perfect plum on all of them
are 5 doors 1 close perfect the other( 1 of them )close but the revel is all around from the striker all around till the middle hinges, with a quart coin in the reveal (1/16) , from the top of the last hinge to the botton, no way to put the coin in at all, when expand i guess wont open or close, but now is like perfect why, how to fix that
the other 3 they close with force but, i notice at the top door start touching the door stop
NOW I TELL YOU ALL THINGS IT MAY HELP,
the hinges , i measure it and used a router, somehow is a 1/16 not perfect on the bottom hinges , little force and and fit , but the door touch at the stop at the top.
the other 3 same thing , hinges at bottom are 1/16 off , i double measure but is done , no one close you notice the hinges side of the jam start moving from the pressure to close . but if a push hard will close, no ideal but how to fix that
try it already bending the hinges, so much are deformed now so i got new one. help please

A. Spruce

Re: interior door do not close

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm

So you put new door slabs into existing jambs, correct?

1 - Hinge Mortises:
- Are your hinges all set at a uniform depth? Hinge mortises are too deep will cause the door to bind on the hinge side, not deep enough will cause binding on the strike side, uneven depth will twist the hinge jamb and cause binding in any number of places. If you trimmed the hinge side of the door to fit the opening, was this cut straight?
2 - Door binding:
- If the jamb and hinges are set properly and you have binding on the top, you set the hinges too high on the door, simply sanding the top of the door to fit will suffice.
- If the jamb and hinges are set properly and you have binding along the strike side, then the door either wasn't trimmed straight or enough to fit the opening. This can be adjusted by sanding the edge of the door.
- Did you put a bevel on the strike side of the door edge? Doors generally have a few degree bevel to the inside to accommodate the arc of travel.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:45 am

I'm betting the beveled edge was installed on the hinge side and the long edge is binding at the center of the frame. It's only 3 degrees and will look square at a glance which has caught out lots of folks who didn't know doors were made this way. If I'm right, then you can remove the hinges and resaw the long edge off using the short edge to guide you. Cut only to the short edge, then check for fit and operation. You will have to re-mortise the hinges for depth after this.

Sometimes the frame will be set at an angle. You can either correct the frame making it square to the opening horizontally or you can add narrow shims of cardboard (not the corrugated stuff) between the hinge and door near the hinge pins, which will add some angle to how the hinge seats and thus move the door away from the frame on that side. You may need to also add the 3 degree bevel to the strike side according to how it all works but I'd advise against that unless it is absolutely necessary as that is a very hard cut to make well without using a table saw. I generally use a belt sander for beveling doors as it cuts more slowly and is thus easier to control. I just guess at the exact angle as anything from 2 to 5 degrees will usually work OK.

Doors are all about geometry and as long as you consider how they move in an arc most of the needed corrections are apparent, leaving only how to achieve them as a problem.

Phil

italianguy

Post by italianguy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 am

thank you so much for the help , i got the idea what it could be, again thank you guys

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm

This is an exterior door but you can see here that there is a slight bevel on the door. The shorter edge would be the edge swinging towards the frame when closing the door.
Attachments
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg (443.03 KiB) Viewed 264 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

italianguy

Post by italianguy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm

yeahhhh was little hard doing the bebevel but it done and close perfect and the reveal is pretty much around,
thank you all ,
shannon thank you so much for taking the time to do all those videos, so clearly when you explain always watch your channel , crown molding and baseboard , they looks really nice , and knowing that i did it is awesome,
MY NEXT move IS THE bathroom shower and tile floor walls and the shower pan , the most challenge for me, do you have any video on that matters, i will re check your channel in you tube
like I say thank you all !!!!!!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:10 pm

We have a project in mind for some more tiling videos but no timeline specifically . We do have tiling /grouting related videos so check them out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon