Brainstorm! How to level concrete floor over cleanouts

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
diggler306

Brainstorm! How to level concrete floor over cleanouts

Post by diggler306 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 am

I need help brainstorming ideas on how to FLATTEN the floor over top of my cleanout accesses in the basement concrete. See attached photos.

We are going to lay carpet in this portion of the basement, but the cleanout access is lower than the surface of the concrete by roughly 1/2" - 3/4". You will definitely feel that when walking over it, so I need to do something about it while still maintaining the ability to get to the cleanout should I ever need to (God forbid).

So far, I tried laying down a piece of poly over top of it, then used mortar and troweled it out flat... basically creating a removable mold. You can see the mold in the photo with the poly removed. Unfortunately, the edges were so thin that they kept breaking off whenever you walked over it. I don't want crunchy bits left under the carpet, shoudl they brake off any further. By making it removable, it also tends to move around slightly, so I would need to adhere it to the plastic cap at least. This is all a good idea in theory, but after the edges broke off, I was still left with a bit of a hard lip around the mold that I think you'd feel underfoot.

Other options I've thought of:

1. Silicone mold - Use liquid silicone to create a mold. While I think this would work, it seems like overkill, expensive, and possibly still too flexible for walking over it repeatedly. Maybe it would also break down over time.

2. Plywood & self leveler - Cut a circle out of 1/2" plywood the same size as the cap. Adhere it to the cap. Wrap the cap & plywood in poly or some non-stick material.Temporarily silicone around the base of the cap to stop leveler from seeping down and sealing it shut. Pour leveler around the cap/plywood just up to the point where it is level with the surrounding concrete. Let cure. In theory, the cap should still be able to be removed.

No idea what the best course of action is. I have TWO of these cleanout to deal with.

Any suggestions or other bright ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_8512.jpg
IMG_8512.jpg (394.8 KiB) Viewed 476 times
IMG_8509.jpg
IMG_8509.jpg (395.05 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Clarence

Re: Brainstorm! How to level concrete floor over cleanouts

Post by Clarence » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:41 am

See there is a Smooth - On, dealer in your area.
If not look it up on the internet they have products for mold making to include some that are pretty hard the material have a shore hardness that will very from soft to hard.
These would be flexible so the thin edge would not crack.
I have used many of he products for plaster castings.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 pm

What I have found works well is cutting a piece of plywood and even bevelling the edges so it as big as possible then covering the entire area with a piece of 18-20 gauge galvanized metal like duct work is made of . Make the metal patch much bigger then the plywood to span the difference in slope. It is not completely undetectable but as long as it's not in a main pathway most people will never know.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:51 pm

So if the plywood piece is maybe 8-10" in size the metal would be about 12-24" square
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

diggler306

Post by diggler306 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Clarence wrote:See there is a Smooth - On, dealer in your area.
If not look it up on the internet they have products for mold making to include some that are pretty hard the material have a shore hardness that will very from soft to hard.
These would be flexible so the thin edge would not crack.
I have used many of he products for plaster castings.
Doesn't look like there is a dealer in my area (Saskatchewan). I guess I could check Amazon.ca. Again, I'd want something that is a more firm when hardened. Not too sure what to look for.
Shannon wrote:What I have found works well is cutting a piece of plywood and even bevelling the edges so it as big as possible then covering the entire area with a piece of 18-20 gauge galvanized metal like duct work is made of . Make the metal patch much bigger then the plywood to span the difference in slope. It is not completely undetectable but as long as it's not in a main pathway most people will never know.
Interesting - I never thought of sheet metal. Do you tack it to the concrete at all? It doesn't make noise from bending or grinding against the concrete floor?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:51 pm

I just lay it in place ,once the underlay and carpet are over it it is barely detectable unless you step directly in it then you may notice it slightly.

I see you are in Saskatchewan, that's where we are as well.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Plumbing (especially commercial) isn't my forte', but I've seen cast brass clean-out access covers before and I've poured the concrete floors around them ages ago. The lids are meant to support weight and are flat so that you could set it where you want it then use floor leveling compound around it, leaving you with a perfect floor and an easily accessed clean-out.

Google "brass clean out covers" to see what I'm talking about.

Phil

diggler306

Post by diggler306 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 am

Shannon wrote:I just lay it in place ,once the underlay and carpet are over it it is barely detectable unless you step directly in it then you may notice it slightly.

I see you are in Saskatchewan, that's where we are as well.
Yup! Up here in Saskatoon. The cleanout is like right in the middle of a hallway so it will see a lot of traffic. The second cleanout is in a more inconspicuous space; which I'm less worried about.

I'm seriously tempted to just caulk the gap around the lid and pour leveller over top with a big red 'X' over it . I'll have to cut the carpet and pad out to get to it anyway, whats chipping out 3/4 inch of cement as well? :P
Mastercarpentry wrote:Plumbing (especially commercial) isn't my forte', but I've seen cast brass clean-out access covers before and I've poured the concrete floors around them ages ago. The lids are meant to support weight and are flat so that you could set it where you want it then use floor leveling compound around it, leaving you with a perfect floor and an easily accessed clean-out.

Google "brass clean out covers" to see what I'm talking about.

Phil
Thanks Phil. That's essentially what this is, except that this one is plastic and it's set too low.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

cover it up with self leveller then and mark it.

diggler306

Post by diggler306 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 am

Shannon wrote:cover it up with self leveller then and mark it.
Thanks Shannon.