insulating uneven wall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
greg1

insulating uneven wall

Post by greg1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:55 am

Im just starting to install rigid insulation in my basement and I noticed that my walls are uneven. The worst spot that you can see is in the picture. I put a level to show how uneven the wall came out after I put insulation. Just wondering is it ok to leave it like that and than just adjust the framing accordingly to be father away from the insulated wall?
Or should i rip it out and grind down that spot? I was thinking if I just move my studs away from that wall and then fill the gaps with batt insulation after...
Attachments
basement_insulation.JPG
basement_insulation.JPG (67.28 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Shannon

Re: insulating uneven wall

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes those ar the kind of things I see all the time. Just figure out how far you need to adjust the framing away from the wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 pm

I wouldn't even worry about filling in the gap between the stud wall and the rigid foam with insulation later. Just frame your walls 1/2" past the worst spot and put bats in between the studs like normal. The air gap between the stud wall and the foam won't hurt anything, in fact it will give a small increase in R-Value. That's all most insulation is anyway, just a bunch of air pockets.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks very much guys! I will adjust the position of my studs.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Is it normal for a SDS drill bit to wear off after about 35 holes?
I drilled in basement foundation of my 60 yo house. Hammer drill used is Bosch 11255VSR and drill bits are also by Bosh
Attachments
IMG_7606.JPG
IMG_7606.JPG (54.07 KiB) Viewed 420 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 pm

35 holes is a lot, especially in very old and very hard concrete. While I can't say I've seen one wear out like that, they do dull and they do eventually wear out.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 am

Ya it can happen depending on the quality of bit and hardness of concrete.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

greg1

Post by greg1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Another bit bites the dust lol

I also had a building inspector stop by today and he wasn't sure if insulating inside with a rigid foam was a good idea.. He said might be mold issue later on, but at the end he said it should be ok. So many opinions, I hope I wont need to tear it all out in the end. lol
Attachments
IMG_7611.JPG
IMG_7611.JPG (91.65 KiB) Viewed 407 times

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 pm

greg1 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 pm
Another bit bites the dust lol

I also had a building inspector stop by today and he wasn't sure if insulating inside with a rigid foam was a good idea.. He said might be mold issue later on, but at the end he said it should be ok. So many opinions, I hope I wont need to tear it all out in the end. lol
If insulating with rigid is not a good idea, then NO insulation would be the only alternative ... IMO :ugeek: ... I'm curious what Shannon or Sprucy have to say.

As far as your drills .. I think you're running the drills way to fast :o
Drill on slow speed ... take your time ... and you can get a hundred holes done.
I know, cause when I'm on a job, my time is worth more than the drill bit, and I run 'em fast and go thru lots of bits .... at home on my own dime, I go nice and slow... all on the same bit :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm

emtnut wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 pm
If insulating with rigid is not a good idea, then NO insulation would be the only alternative ... IMO :ugeek: ... I'm curious what Shannon or Sprucy have to say.
I tend to stay out of basement questions because they are not common in my area so I've got no experience with them. IMHO, anything that can trap condensation, thus creating mold/mildew, is not a good idea, however, rigid insulation on basement walls seems to be the norm, so . . . ?????
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:09 am

creating a warm barrier ,stopping warm interior air from contacting cold concrete surface seams pretty basic. I am in Saskatchewan and it is done here lots. Our climate is 6 months warm /6 months cold. I guess the main thing is to be sure the inspector will allow it in his/her area.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 am

Thats what I thought from researching, it makes sense to me so I will finish off whatever rigid foam i have and wait for an inspection. I'm in Alberta so the climate is fairly similar to Saskatchewan.

Thanks for the tips on bits lol, I will go slower. That thing drives them in concrete like butter lol

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Try not really leaning to much pressure on drill, let it do its thing. Some have such a soft hammer action that you can really hamper it by pushing to hard.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:06 pm

I have a window in basement that was blocked and cemented from outside, do I need to take out the window from inside and also try to make it even with the rest of foundation by adding more concrete?

The guy at home depot said I dont have to, and that the cement wouldn't fill the remaining gap. He said just leave it. But it looks funny to me how it sits right now. That window oppening is 18" by 32"

Any ideas?
And thank you so much for all your help guys!
Attachments
IMG_7617.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG (104.31 KiB) Viewed 375 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 pm

If it is sealed form the exterior already I would just remove the shish and glass and leave the wood frame in place. I also typically would add some extra insulation to the void.In the picture below I have a layer of 2" foam in the wood frame and it is sealed with canned sprayfoam. Then I added another layer of 1-1/2" foam to take up the remaining space before installing a moisture barrier on the wall and started framing.
IMG_1592.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg (177.42 KiB) Viewed 372 times

greg1

Post by greg1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Great! Thank you Shannon