Insulating Cantilever

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mikeyitis

Insulating Cantilever

Post by mikeyitis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:15 am

I had previously made a post about insulating my unconditioned garage ceiling. Now I have one more question before I get started and it involves insulating a cantilever with a conditioned space above and the unconditioned garage space that is below. I attached pictures for reference.

2.png
2.png (508.4 KiB) Viewed 166 times
garage_insulation.jpg
garage_insulation.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 166 times
As you can see in picture 1, there is no plywood or barrier between the joists and the aluminum soffit, it is just the aluminum soffit by itself. Is this ok or does there absolutely need to be a wood board or other barrier in-between the aluminum and the joists? Can I just insulate it by using the method in picture 2 or is there a better method that you would recommend? Would I seal off the joist area directly above the stud wall with insulation board like it is shown in picture 2 or would I leave that open since the garage space is unconditioned and I am only insulating the garage ceiling for the space above?

Shannon

Re: Insulating Cantilever

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:20 am

My first instinct is that it needs plywood to keep critters out (small bugs and such) but it is likely not really any different then a normal vented soffit which gives access to critters to the insulated attic ? So I guess really it does not need any plywood.
I would do it just like picture #2
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mikeyitis

Re: Insulating Cantilever

Post by mikeyitis » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks for the advice.