ceiling tile tight clearance

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Leo

ceiling tile tight clearance

Post by Leo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:34 am

I have to replace four tiles 2x2. Unable to fit in new tiles because clearance above tiles is very tight. How can I make the tiles go in? I just cannot get them to push up enough to allow installation.

Should I drop the frame temporarily, making a space from which I can slide the new tiles into place?

Thank you for your help!

Leo

Shannon

Re: ceiling tile tight clearance

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 am

Ya you may be able to drop it enough to get them in. Its a real PITA when the ceilings are built so tight to joists.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 pm

If you have better access a few spaces over, remove those tiles by slipping them across the top then slide in the new ones where you have room to insert them. Don't let the tiles rub the aluminum runners or you'll leave black marks on the tiles.

Alternately you can unsnap the cross-pieces of the grid several spaces past where you're working and on the next row too, then twist the main runners and sneak the pieces in. This is a somewhat touchy process as to make the mains lay flat again when you're done you'll need to 'over-twist' them in the opposite direction once the tiles are in and it is easy to crumple the metal.

Last resort you can pivot or remove the end runners on the side (which might destroy them) and work from the end, putting new runners back at each tile as you go along. Just be very careful not to hurt the mains whichever method you use.

Grid ceilings are easy when you know how and when you can see above them before the tiles go in but after that it takes a bit if detective work to figure out how they did it so you can follow behind them.

Phil

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 am

Phil

Thanks you for taking the time to help me! I'll try unsnapping cross pieces first.

Regards

Leo