painted caulk still sticky

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
diytexas

painted caulk still sticky

Post by diytexas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:52 pm

So its been about 5 days and many parts of the painted caulk are still sticky and spreading paint to the hands. Used paintable caulk (mostly :lol: ) and an oil based paint. The paint else where there is no caulk is dry as a bone.

What gives?

Any tips to resolve? Im thinking maybe a rub down with a towel or something

Shannon

Re: painted caulk still sticky

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm thinking the caulk and paint were not compatible?? Its been so long since I have even seen an oil paint I can't remember if the two work together. Your oil paint must be pretty old??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:40 pm

My guess is that the caulk was not cured enough before paint was applied. Because oil creates a barrier, it doesn't allow the caulk to dry as latex would, hence still being sticky. I think you'll be in for a bigger mess and problems if you try to do anything, so personally I'd leave it be and just let it figure itself out. The caulk will eventually dissipate its moisture into the surrounding materials and cure out. The oil paint will also eventually cure, once the substrate becomes more stable.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Busted. Yeah caulk wasnt FULLLLY cured. I mean it says paintable in 30 min, but im sure on the back it probably says *except for humid environments"

Oil paint was brand new

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 am

Therein lies the rub . . . The caulk is dry to the touch and ok to paint with latex in 30 minutes because latex breathes, oil doesn't, at least not as well, which means that any moisture left in the caulk is now trapped and may even cause condensation on the back of the oil paint layer, hence the still tacky paint and caulk.

Do a test, put two lines of caulk on a board, let one cure for 30 minutes before painting, let the other cure 24 hours before painting, obviously with your oil paint. See what happens.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:29 pm

If you leave it alone long enough the caulking will cure through the wall surface instead of the front as intended. That may take as much as month if the caulking is thick :shock: and if you used butyl caulk (which is uncommon these days) that could take a year as the oil paint vehicle will actually mix with it and slow the drying of both along with discoloring the paint :(

Other than heating the area and reducing the humidity there, I know of no other way to speed up the process. This usually happens when the caulk is too think; no caulk is meant to fill large gaps all by itself. Using foam backer rod (available in various sizes from real paint stores) and a thinner application of caulk is the correct approach.

Phil