Help Understanding Infrared Images

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Ameds

Help Understanding Infrared Images

Post by Ameds » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm having some trouble understanding 2 images taken by an FLIR camera. It's not the best quality camera but hopefully someone can tell me what I'm looking at. I'm trying to see if there is any water leakage in the basement. The areas shown are in the basement where the floor meets the wall.

Some tips on what water leakage would look like would be apprecaited.

Thanks
Attachments
FLIR00006 (2).jpg
FLIR00006 (2).jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 319 times

A. Spruce

Re: Help Understanding Infrared Images

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm

FLIR cameras use color to indicate temperature, red being hot, blue/black being cold. There is nothing in the image that really stands out to me as being a problem, though the blackish mold looking stuff could be indicative of moisture.

A better means of checking for moisture problems will be to tape a piece of plastic over your suspected problem areas for 24 hours, if there is condensation on the under side of the plastic there is an issue, if the plastic remains dry, no worries.

Additionally, this could be seasonal wetness, something that could be handled with Dryloc paint, rather than more expensive waterproofing means.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:59 pm

With my FLIR, the colors are only relative to other things on the screen. So colors aren’t telling exact temperatures necessarily. These only show temp, you’ll have to interpret what might possibly indicate leaks, etc.

Ameds

Post by Ameds » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I should have specified, my Fiberglass insulation terminates about 1ft from the ground, which could explain some of the color change in the photos. Also, just like the post by "Admin", my FLIR colors are relative to other areas on the screen.

It's been raining heavily over the past week and my house is a new build so i'm taking the opportunity to scan around with my FLIR. However, I don't know what water intrusion would look like in these pictures. I attached another picture of the same area as of this morning (pic 1).

I've also included a photo of a second floor room where the wall meets the ceiling (pic 2). Is the blue coloration just indicating lack of insulation, or could it be water?

Cheers!
Attachments
pic 2.jpg
pic 2.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 301 times
pic 1.jpg
pic 1.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 301 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:40 am

I'm not sure that a FLIR scope is what you need for water leak detection. A more accurate method is the plastic and tape I mentioned earlier or an actual moisture meter.

As for your pics, they simply look like cold portions of the wall to me. Without a known reference of what wetness looks like to compare these images against, that's about all you're going to know.

Why are the corners colder than the wall, studs do not have the insulative value that insulation does, so the top of the wall is going to read colder than the rest of it. On a really cold day you will probably be able to make out the studs in the walls as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:48 pm

So why would your insulation stop 1 foot from the floor? That makes no sense at all to do that??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:48 pm
So why would your insulation stop 1 foot from the floor? That makes no sense at all to do that??
It’s a basement, that’s allowed by code is it not??

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:17 pm

No code that I know of in a finished basement ? In unfinished basements builders install insulation bags to the upper section of basement walls where there is the most heat loss. In some flood prone areas I have heard of using rigid or spray foam for the bottom couple of feet to prevent having to replace the insulation every time.
This to me makes absolutely no sense to me to stop the insulation above the plate. All that should do in a batt insulation wall is direct all the cold air down between the back of the framing and face of the concrete wall (cause there is always a space there) right to the floor and there it can transfer through the drywall. I don't know maybe I'm missing something and somebody can explain the reasoning to me to change my mind?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon