Counter top paint

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
MarkM

Counter top paint

Post by MarkM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 am

I have been toying with the idea of using a countertop paint to give my bathroom vanity a new look. I have intention on replacing it in 5-10 years, but I would like to give it a new look for a while.

I came across a countertop paint, and although I'm sure I've been living under a rock, I hadn't heard of doing this.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever used this, and could give words of wisdom as to how easy or difficult it is to make look acceptable? I am not looking at this point for a permanent, 20 year solution, just a new look until replacement happens (like I said, maybe 5-10 years in the future).

I have attached a link to the product I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Giani-Countertop ... B00BMU9QMK

Thoughts?

Aaron

Re: Counter top paint

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 am

No offense, but I don't trust it, it seems gimmicky and not worth the effort or expense. There would be a lot of prep work you'd have to do to prepare the counter so the coating would adhere to it (like removing the sink so the coating can get UNDER it), and then I would not trust the coating to be reliable--especially in a bathroom with water and humidity.

No. Save your money and invest it toward a replacement counter in the future.

If the counter you currently have is in bad shape or you really just can't stand the look of it anymore, you could always replace the counter temporarily with a low-cost laminate one. It might even have that faux-stone look that the coating has. You could re-use your sink/faucet and vanity base.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:48 pm

I am not sold on the idea that there is a product that can stand up to the rigors of countertop use, even in a lesser used/abused bathroom as opposed to a kitchen counter. The one thing this does have going for it is that it's a polyurethane, not "paint", it will essentially give your counter a plastic coated surface which is durable, but it does not like impacts or abrasion, so dropping things on the counter, use, and general cleaning is going to take its toll rather quickly.

I would also like to point out that for the price of that product, you can probably find a very suitable replacement top for your vanity, and it won't be money thrown away, it will be an investment into the home that won't have to be redone/replaced in a year's time.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Yes I would agree with the other guys, it would likely do the job for a few years if you followed the exact directions for prep but because it is likely a quantity for doing way more counter then you have the price is really not worth it. If you have a standard counter size you can surely find either a laminate counter or even a faux stone type with the sink built into it for the same money or less.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 pm

One last thing to add, check out if there's a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area. They often have surplus counters, vanities, sinks, what have you. You might find something that was donated to them that you like, and your purchase will go to a great cause.