rough opening for a door

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
greg1

rough opening for a door

Post by greg1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Sorry if this sounds like a rather silly question.
I framed a door opening to be 30 by 82 inches to fit a door 28 by 80 inches.
However due to some space restriction, I might have to install a 26 by 80 door instead. Just wondering if its ok to use the opening that large (30x82) for a door that is 26x80? I never installed the door before and just figured the gap can be covered by a trim afterwards? From what I researched the opening should be roughly 1.5-2" bigger than the door dimensions. Its for a bathroom in the basement.

Shannon

Re: rough opening for a door

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Your rough opening should be 2 to 2-1/2" wider then the opening and usually 2" taller is fine. Wider is always easier to deal with then too narrow for sure. Your thoughts of using the trim to cover the wider opening will work just fine. I would place 3/4" plywood on each side of the opening to reduce its size and make shimming easier or you could use a 2x4 on one side if entering is not necessary
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

greg1

Re: rough opening for a door

Post by greg1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Great, thanks very much Shannon!