solid wood flooring multiple rooms

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Shannon

Re: solid wood flooring multiple rooms

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:15 am

I think I would contact the flooring manufacture and try and get an answer from them. To me it seems the flooring needs to come down in moisture a bit more because the subfloor is so dry it may really dry out the wood over the first couple weeks and cause problems? Maybe opening the ends of theboxegs would speed things up? They always say not to do that however.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

stevejd

Post by stevejd » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 am

I went and found a better moisture meter, glad I did. readings on this one are between 5.1% & 6% for new wood flooring material.
The subfloor reads between 9.6% & 11%
The meter is accurate to -+ 4% This is more than the mfg 2% variance but don't think I should still be as concerned with these readings.
What do you think Shannon?
Thanks,
Steve

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 pm

yes these reading seem more reasonable. I would likely go ahead with it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

stevejd

Post by stevejd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 pm

How would you suggest securing a reducer transition piece in doorway? I'm nailing all the flooring but am considering gluing the reducer to the flooring material but not the sub-floor. The theory is it will move with the hardwood floor?
I hate the idea of face nailing a pre-stained piece of flooring material.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 am

If it’s not secured to the floor it will likely move any time it is stepped on. I would use adhesive to attach it to the floor .

stevejd

Post by stevejd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:12 pm

So adhesive to flooring material reducer sits over or to sub-floor?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:30 am

sub floor.

stevejd

Post by stevejd » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Thank you sir.
I've been working on squeaks this week. I tried wood screws, shims and now 2 x 8 between my 16" on center joist. Still have squeaks in some places.
The only remaining option I can think of is pull up the nails and use wood screws?
Well then i could live with squeaks is another option. Getting tire of trying resolve.
Any advice?
Then there's the kitten my daughter has new this summer. I have about 6 ft wide of new floor in and the cat has scratched it multiple places when it gets wired and runs through the house, not over a lamp on it within 2 weeks. we are going to try paw claw caps before we declaw but that is getting to be a stronger option. Any advice?
I need a beer to relax!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 am

Yes those old screws will most likely be the culprit. Surprisingly enough just adding a screw beside the nails does not always stop them, but pulling the nail will.
I have a cat as well and we have always had them declawed. They only ever remove the front claws and more and more many places will not declaw at all anymore. So you would want caps on back claws anyways maybe ? Also you can trim the claws yourself every few weeks if there are no caps.

VanTry2DIY

Post by VanTry2DIY » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 pm

stevejd wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:06 pm
Thank you sir.
I've been working on squeaks this week. I tried wood screws, shims and now 2 x 8 between my 16" on center joist. Still have squeaks in some places.
The only remaining option I can think of is pull up the nails and use wood screws?
Well then i could live with squeaks is another option. Getting tire of trying resolve.
Any advice?
Then there's the kitten my daughter has new this summer. I have about 6 ft wide of new floor in and the cat has scratched it multiple places when it gets wired and runs through the house, not over a lamp on it within 2 weeks. we are going to try paw claw caps before we declaw but that is getting to be a stronger option. Any advice?
I need a beer to relax!
Do you have any scratcher toys that the cat likes to use? They will make a huge difference in how sharp its claws are. We have had great success with the Pet Fusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge. There are knock-offs on eBay if you'd like to get something cheaper. A good DIY option is sisal rope wrapped around any wood post/ramp you might build.

You can also trim its nails regularly as Shannon mentioned; start now and it will be very easy for the rest of the cat's life. It will also do far less gallivanting around as it gets older; a few rugs in high-traffic areas could help protect the floors in the meantime. Declawing is now banned in many places for good reason--imagine waking up with the first digit of every finger gone :( It can also lead to severe arthritis in their back and shoulders since they will no longer be able to stretch.

stevejd

Post by stevejd » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks.

Shannon- I removed the nails and right away no squeaks! I had already placed many wood screws in between the nails. If only I removed nails first! I spent hours adding screws, bracing underneath... :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:13 pm

stevejd wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:57 pm
Thanks.

Shannon- I removed the nails and right away no squeaks! I had already placed many wood screws in between the nails. If only I removed nails first! I spent hours adding screws, bracing underneath... :)
glad you got it