Removing this horrible texture

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jfurnas

Removing this horrible texture

Post by Jfurnas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 am

I have a really old home, plaster and lathe except for where I've renovated. The previous owners put this disgusting and extremely difficult to paint texture on every wall and ceiling in the house, and I'd like to remove it. What's the ebst way to do so? It looks like they used a layer of compound to produce it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even the good paint takes me 5 or 6 coats to cover each wall.
Attachments
20180622_094810.jpg
20180622_094810.jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 259 times

A. Spruce

Re: Removing this horrible texture

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 am

You will have to skim coat the surface smooth with more layers of drywall compound. I would recommend topping compound, as it's smoother and easier to work with and sand than any other compound.

Skim coating is applying thin layers of compound until you've achieved your desired goal.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am

Look at the Master of Plaster product. You can have a smooth finish with a max of two base coats & a finish coat no sanding required = NO dust.

Jfurnas

Post by Jfurnas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

Man, I was trying to avoid that. Every single wall and ceiling in my home except for the ones I've tore down and replaced with drywall have this texture. That's going to be a fortune in compound, I really don't want to skim coat or add more layers, I already have issues transitioning between the drywall surfaces and these surfaces now because of thickness.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Jfurnas wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am
That's going to be a fortune in compound, I really don't want to skim coat or add more layers, I already have issues transitioning between the drywall surfaces and these surfaces now because of thickness.
Topping compound is fairly inexpensive and goes a long way, it's not going to take much to float out that texture because the texture isn't that heavy. There will be sanding involved after the final coat, between coats simply need to be scraped with your drywall knife to remove the ridges and bumps.

Clarence is the resident plaster guy, so if you want to go that route, he'll have your answers.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jfurnas

Post by Jfurnas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 pm

I may go that route at a later time, but for the time being, I found out how to imitate the texture using a technique I discovered when playing around with it. I can proceed to finish patching my house and work on smoothing it all out later.

Thanks for the info!