Removing ceramic tile from floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jfurnas

Removing ceramic tile from floor

Post by Jfurnas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:22 am

I am getting ready to start gutting my bathroom, but am running into some problems. When I redid my kitchen, I made a really bad mess and did a lot of damage using a sledge hammer to break and move the ceramic tile in the kitchen. The same tile is in one floor higher, on the bathroom floor. Whoever installed it put cement board directly over the original wood floor, then used cement to glue the tiles to the floor. Normally, I would've just cut little sections of the floor out using a saw, but going through both the ceramic and the cement board was extremely difficult with any blade I used. Ontop of that, they put about 200 screws in each board, so once I did manage to get a section cut, I couldn't just pull it out anyway and had to break it up.

Is there a more efficient way to get the tiles off the floor? They are the 12x12 white generic looking tiles. They've been installed there for a long time I can tell.

A. Spruce

Re: Removing ceramic tile from floor

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 am

About the only thing you can do is get a crowbar under the backer board and pry it up. It's going to come up in tiny pieces, due to all the fasteners. Try to be careful, if you beat or flex the floor too much you can pop the drywall from the ceiling below.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jfurnas

Re: Removing ceramic tile from floor

Post by Jfurnas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 am

The good thing is, the kitchen has a drop ceiling as I decided to leave the floor above exposed because the plumbing runs through there. I just don't want to drop stuff down onto the floor below.