Bathroom closet measuring.

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jfurnas

Bathroom closet measuring.

Post by Jfurnas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello everyone!

I have seen many pictures of people using 'modular' shelfing in closets. Since I am going to be renovating my bathroom, I am looking to build a closet in it, since there currently isn't one. My question is, how do I know what size to make my closet, so that the modular shelfing fits in perfectly? I am looking at getting the metal (with white vinyl coating on it) and doing two rows, wrapping three walls of the closet. Attached is a very crude drawing showing what I mean.

As for what the closet is going to be used for, the typical bathroom stuff;

Cleaning supplies, towels/wash clothes, extra rolls of TP, health & medical (since I wont have a medicine cabinet), so weight isn't super important as there won't be much weight on the shelves at any given time.

Can I just make the closet any size, and cut the shelving to fit, or do I have to make the closet a specific size so that it fits specific sizes of shelving?

I have also attached a stock photo of the type of shelving I want to use. (Except instead of four rows on the side and one row on the back, its going to be two or three rows around all three walls)

Any help or suggestions?
closet_mockup.png
closet_mockup.png (14.75 KiB) Viewed 138 times
popular-wire-shelves-for-closet-in-pretty-design-ideas-how-to-install-plans-11.jpg
popular-wire-shelves-for-closet-in-pretty-design-ideas-how-to-install-plans-11.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Last edited by Jfurnas on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jfurnas

Re: Bathroom closet measuring.

Post by Jfurnas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm

I apologize I just realized I posted this in the 'interior' and not the 'bathroom' specific forum. I guess this applies to any closet or shelving, not just bathrooms.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Personally, I'd build my own shelving and stay away from that modular garbage. Wood or plywood is going to be stronger and look better than those wire racks. Also, those wire racks need a lot of those knee braces, which get in the way of things you want to store on lower shelves. By the time you add up the cost of the wire racks and all the brackets and other giblets, they get expensive quickly.

If you decide to stick with the wire racks, you can cut them to any length you need with a hacksaw or bolt cutters.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jfurnas

Post by Jfurnas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:55 pm

One of the things I dont like about the wood and bracket style shelving I have seen, is that it looks outdated and old. I am not sure if that's the shelving you meant, or if you meant actually using plywood or similar as the shelves.

Is this the shelving you are talking about?
0096-12WT.jpg
0096-12WT.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 129 times
I happen to think this looks really clean and modern.
Wire-closet-shelving-ideas-1024x819.jpg
Wire-closet-shelving-ideas-1024x819.jpg (54.58 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 pm

I don't mind the wire shelving especially for light duty use. It can get costly with all the little gizmos but it is quick. I usually use a set of bolt cutters to cut it but if you need to cut close to the wire shelf areas then a hacksaw would be better.
The particle board shelving with wall standards and brackets works ok also and is adjustable as you needs change.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Jfurnas wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:55 pm
One of the things I dont like about the wood and bracket style shelving I have seen, is that it looks outdated and old. I am not sure if that's the shelving you meant, or if you meant actually using plywood or similar as the shelves.

Is this the shelving you are talking about?
No, I'm not a fan of brackets and standards either, but I do think they look better than wire racks.

You're really only limited by your imagination and budget. For instance, do you really need a "closet" at all, or would some cabinetry suit your needs just as well or better? Aesthetically, cabinets are going to look nicer than any kind of shelving, you can use base cabinets for their depth for large items like TP and towels and use upper cabinets for smaller sundries.

Or, just stack upper cabinets from floor to ceiling for more of a "pantry" effect, or buy/build pantry style cabinets to give you the depth and height you need to fill the space.

Do you really want a "closet", how is this design going to make the bathroom feel? Probably quite claustrophobic, and rather odd having this random door in the room. I'm not saying you shouldn't build a closet, I'm only asking if it's the best use of the space and is it going to give you the desired affect. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.