Sanding primer or not

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
hahatango

Sanding primer or not

Post by hahatango » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:57 am

I skim coated my walls, and sanded it all smooth (220). Then I foam rolled primer/sealer (Glidden gripper), which left a slight texture vs the sanded glassy smoothness across the walls.

My final coat is IdeaPaint dry erase paint (thick like the primer) hence super high gloss so I'm seeking the glassiest like finish.

My question is do I need to:
A) Sand this primer down to glassy smooth again (left) which will be lots of extra work.

B) Leave rolled foam texture on to let final coat grip more to.(right)

C) Doesn't matter as the final ideapaint coat being applied via short nap roller will leave a slight texture anyway?

I considered a squegee but can't experiment as this ideapaint cost $$$.
Attachments
IMG_20180720_021920.jpg
IMG_20180720_021920.jpg (62.38 KiB) Viewed 127 times

Neil007

Re: Sanding primer or not

Post by Neil007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:23 am

It all depends on what look you are going for. If you want a totally smooth finish you are going to have to sand it all lightly. If not you will always have the little dimples left by a roller.

When I paint i usually just give it a sanding to knock off any of the high spots, as sanding walls to a perfecty smooth finish is a pain in the butt.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 am

Yes I agree with Neil007. Finish to get the texture you want. The final paint application will leave some texture anyways.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

hahatango

Post by hahatango » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks. So it sounds like I'll end up with a roller texture no matter what, but if I spend the 2-3 more days to sand glassy smooth the primer layer, it'll be a hair smoother. I'll see how the second coat of primer dries comparing how it finishes on glassy vs roller surface and decide from there...

Neil007

Post by Neil007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:40 am

If you want as smooth as a finish as you can get sand between every coat very very lightly, and you are correct, if you are using a roller, there will always be a slight texture left. Spray guns will leave a smooth finish, but can be more of a headache if you make a mistake with them.

hahatango

Post by hahatango » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks.
Another thought I've had which might be bad is after the second primer coat showing roller texture appears, instead of sanding down to glass finish which would takes 2 days, instead to skim fill with join compound?

Pro: it'll be a flat glass surface.
Con: unsure compound is best last surface and might be a mix of compound and primer hence causing some odd surface absorbtion from final gloss coat.

Thoughts?

In the end perhaps just allowing the semi textured primer roller surface is fine.. will see after I apply it this weekend.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 pm

If you apply topping over primer, you're negating the purpose of the primer, which is to seal the surface and provide an even base for your top coat.

If you need a baby's butt smooth finish, then I suggest you sand out your drywall, then apply both primer and paint layers with an airless sprayer, this will leave you with the least amount of texture humanly possible.

Using normal techniques of smooth sanded drywall with rolled primer and rolled paint, you should end up with a nearly smooth surface. Yes, a roller is going to leave behind a bit of a texture, but it's pretty insignificant on the whole.

Now, I recall that you want to use some sort of chalkboard paint as your finished surface, I'm not sure to what end, because, IMHO, writing on walls is not really something that should be promoted. I'd much rather see you do a traditional finish to the wall and then install a dedicated panel as your muralscape surface.

Anything you apply to the wall becomes a layer that you will eventually have to cover and repaint, hence my reticence to make an entire wall or room a "writing" surface. Because ink and chalk are not all that easy to cover over, having an alternate surface that you dedicate to your muralscape that can be removed later with minimal damage to the original surface will be preferred, both to you when that time comes AND the next owner of the property.

What if you were to install a sheet or two of 1/4" masonite on the wall, tape the fasteners/joints as you would drywall, then paint with your special paint, thus you get the surface you want, without waste of material or hassles of reversing the project when it no longer serves your purposes?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Neil007

Post by Neil007 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:28 am

A. Spruce is 100% correct. If you skim coat after priming you are essentially starting all over again. You could keep doing that and end up with 2 foot thick walls. I dont know what you are in tending to use the wall for, but if you just like the glassy smooth finish, and not using it for a writting surface. Than sand between the coats. Then apply a polyacrlic (sp) clear coat with a foam roller, sand between that coat and them a light coat to finish it off.

hahatango

Post by hahatango » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks all. I'll not compound over and lightly sand over. The ideapaint (dry erase) is for my studios office hence using walls as whiteboards. I almost just bought framed boards or rollable ones, but having entire wall be an erase board does look much nicer.

Many thanks to you tips, videos, and quick replies.