Garage Door Opener Support Brace

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
garyb

Garage Door Opener Support Brace

Post by garyb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

Tell me if I'm overthinking this, but I'm hanging my new garage door opener motor and the way the beams behind the ceiling go don't really line up with how I'm trying to hang the support bracket thing. Ideally they would be about 4-5" back from where they are now. But I already installed the lag bolts & ceiling support brace thing, so I wonder if it's worth re-doing that or if I'm good to go as-is. A picture's worth 1,000 words so you can see what I'm talking about:

If I hang it as-is (red rectangle & text in the image) I'd be connecting the very front hole in the motor housing to the support brace on the ceiling, but that looks like a very odd angle to me, like it may be pushing toward the header bracket by hanging there. (Does that matter?)

The green rect & text seems like the ideal setup to me... I'd bolt on an extension bracket on the motor housing to giving me a few extra holes to work with, that way the angle from the ceiling support would be straight up and down.

So what do you guys think, does it matter either way or is this just aesthetics?

A. Spruce

Re: Garage Door Opener Support Brace

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Holy Jebus! That sucker's gonna fall down!!!! :o :shock: :shock: ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

A bit of an angle like that isn't going to hurt anything, the primary stress point is the other end of the travel rod where the door is lifted. This point will get shoved into the header as the traveler heads in the opposite direction. The bracket at the opener head really only supports the opener itself, so not much weight there to worry about. The one thing you will want to do is use a wider piece of angle on the ceiling than the width of the opener, then install some angle brackets from the wider wing back to the hanger pieces.
gd opener.jpg
gd opener.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 159 times
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

garyb

Post by garyb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:16 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:32 pm
Holy Jebus! That sucker's gonna fall down!!!! :o :shock: :shock: ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

A bit of an angle like that isn't going to hurt anything, the primary stress point is the other end of the travel rod where the door is lifted. This point will get shoved into the header as the traveler heads in the opposite direction. The bracket at the opener head really only supports the opener itself, so not much weight there to worry about. The one thing you will want to do is use a wider piece of angle on the ceiling than the width of the opener, then install some angle brackets from the wider wing back to the hanger pieces.
Ok cool, why the wider piece and angle supports? It doesn't seem like it would have the tendency to wiggle side-to-side when facing the door. Or is it just to spread out the weight being pulled down on the rafter?

One more question - if I remove the small support piece I have up there now in favor of the wider one, can I re-use the same lag bolt holes?

Here are some more pics.

Almost there!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Gary, Gary, Gary, we're gonna have to pull your DIY license. :| ;) :mrgreen:

I'm assuming you mean the same holes in the joist, yes, you can reuse the holes, you will need additional lag bolts at the ends of the longer bar. The reason for the angle bracing is that it greatly reduces vibration and noise. Depending on the type of opener you have, some are prone to vibration.

garyb

Post by garyb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:38 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:32 pm
Gary, Gary, Gary, we're gonna have to pull your DIY license. :| ;) :mrgreen:

I'm assuming you mean the same holes in the joist, yes, you can reuse the holes, you will need additional lag bolts at the ends of the longer bar. The reason for the angle bracing is that it greatly reduces vibration and noise. Depending on the type of opener you have, some are prone to vibration.
Hahah, nooo! Give me one more chance!

Alright cool, thanks for the info. I got me a belt drive opener, so it's gonna be as quiet as a mouse, with minimal vibration! Hehe. It's a huge leap forward from the old crappy Genie opener from the 80's, which was so insanely loud. So, I really don't want to unscrew and re-hang it, but I guess I will, I wanna do it right. :D

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I've had screw, chain, and cable drive openers, they're all pretty noisy. Just replaced mine last year with a new chain drive and it's quiet-er, but it's not quiet.