How much can I hang from a ceiling?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
sappho

How much can I hang from a ceiling?

Post by sappho » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm

I have a hanging plant (approximately 1lb) I would like to hang from the soffit in my kitchen window. Can I just screw in one of those hooks into the drywall? I don't have power tools so I'm a bit limited. Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: How much can I hang from a ceiling?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:19 pm

DO NOT screw directly into drywall, this will not hold, you will either need to find wood framing behind the drywall to screw into or use a butterfly anchor.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:48 am

Here is an example of a hook with a toggle bolt style anchor that works good in hollow drywall.https://www.amazon.ca/M-Aimee-Totally-C ... 422&sr=8-2
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

sappho

Post by sappho » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies!
I'm renting and I will have to remove it when I move out and cover up the hole well. The toggle bolt seems to make an awfully big hole for me to hide later. Would it be possible for me to install by hand a screw hook on the edge of the soffit where the framing is?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:35 pm

It would be tough, but yes, you could do it. Pre-drilling a hole for the screw will make the installation easiest.

If it were me, I'd simply leave the hook and not worry about it. Odds are the landlord won't see it and/or won't care if they do.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Most hooks do not have sharp points and are a pain to screw into framing. I cheat by driving a sheetrock screw in, then backing it out to create threads for the hook to get a grip on. Use pliers to twist the hook into place with a few layers of rag over the hook to protect the paint or finish on it. When you move, remove the hook, flatten the surface by gently pounding with the handle end of your screwdriver, and put a tiny dab of toothpaste in the hole, just enough to make it close up and disappear.

For a medium plant, get a small hook that has threads as long as a quarter is wide.Just a little bigger than a cup hook. For a large plant use a hook with the screw part just as long but about as thick as three quarters stacked together. These must go into framing- sheetrock alone won't hold. If the sheetrock screw you make the initial hole with feels tight you're OK, but if it is loose and just keeps turning then you're not into framing. If you're not sure pay the maintenance guy a few bucks to put it in for you after he's off work.

Phil