Guidance on installing closets

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
gsahlot

Guidance on installing closets

Post by gsahlot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Guys,

After putting the laminate flooring, I am at the step of installing closet with shelving. I have bought these Melamine boards (1"x16" and 8' long). How do I mount these boards into the closet area? I think the boards which will be on the side walls can be mounted using screws but how about the ones which will stand in the middle? :-(

A. Spruce

Re: Guidance on installing closets

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 pm

The ends and back wall are easy, simply screw cleats into the studs, it is the front edge that poses the problem because melamine and MDF are not structural enough to span more than about 30" without bowing.

A cleat is simply a stick, usually a 1x3 or 1x4 in this case. I would fully support the ends and back edge, the front will require legs coming up from the floor or the use of large shelf brackets.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks Spruce. But just trying to understand... Here is some more info with pics.

1. Boards I bought
MelamineBoards.jpg
MelamineBoards.jpg (39.57 KiB) Viewed 311 times
2. Closet space pics
closet space pic1.jpg
closet space pic1.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 311 times
closet space pic 2 (angled view).jpg
closet space pic 2 (angled view).jpg (24.52 KiB) Viewed 311 times
3. Here is the design with actual dimensions I am looking to have
closetDesign.png
closetDesign.png (74.18 KiB) Viewed 311 times
a) So I think I can place B1 and B4 against the walls and then screw them into the stud, right? How many places I should screw them? Can I use drywall screws?

b) How do I mount B2 and B3? Where would put the cleat?

c) B5 can just sit on top and then I can screw it on top downwards into the vertically standing boards? Or that would not work?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 pm

gsahlot wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:37 pm
a) So I think I can place B1 and B4 against the walls and then screw them into the stud, right? How many places I should screw them? Can I use drywall screws?

b) How do I mount B2 and B3? Where would put the cleat?

c) B5 can just sit on top and then I can screw it on top downwards into the vertically standing boards? Or that would not work?
Ok, you essentially bought a kit, not just shelving.

Yes, you can screw panels B1/4 to the walls, but you're going to want to measure the closet walls carefully, you'll probably find that they're out of whack. You can either shim the panels where you install the screws or you can cut the ends of the shelves at an angle to accommodate any irregularity. Yes, drywall screws will suffice, just make sure they're long enough to go through the material, drywall, and into the stud at least an inch.

Panels B2/3 can simply be free standing. With panels B1/4 captive, the shelving will steady and keep the center two panels in place.

If you have access above B5, yes, you can screw it down into the other 4 panels. I would recommend predrilling the holes so that you don't split out the panels. measure carefully and put the screws in the middle of the vertical panels for best results.

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:18 pm

If you have access above B5, yes, you can screw it down into the other 4 panels. I would recommend predrilling the holes so that you don't split out the panels. measure carefully and put the screws in the middle of the vertical panels for best results.
Yes I would have 1 feet left. Ceiling height is 8' and I plan to take the board to 7' only i.e. cut 1' from it. Predrill would help, will do.

Thanks Spruce. So seems like all I need is just the screws and no cleats, right? Oh yeah, note that I don't plan to put any extra board/ply or anything against the wall right behind these boards i.e. on the wall which is facing us when we look towards the closet area, but I guess that should be fine, right?

Should I use any adhesive too e.g. on B1/4's side which will be against the wall and center vertical and top horizontal boards edge surface which will be touching the wall?

Also, do you think I should consider angle brackets etc. (i.e. something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /202950157) to support center boards? I think you are saying that those shelves (which I will cut out of these boards on place on pegs inserted into the holes of standing boards) will provide enough support and we wont need any extra angle brackets etc.?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:28 pm

No, you shouldn't need cleats, the depth of the unit as a whole should keep it pretty stable.

No need for adhesive, screw the end panels to the walls will keep them from moving, screwing the top, B5, to the verticals will keep everything steady.

I don't think you'll need those brackets, though you can always add them later if you think it necessary. When you cut your shelves, cut them just snug, this will eliminate any side to side movement in the vertical panels. You could even screw a shelf or two in place in the center section to add rigidity to the whole thing. To do this, screw through the vertical panel into the ends of the shelf.

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 am

Sounds good. Thanks Spruce. Let me give it a shot. Will get back here if ran into issues.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:30 am

Let us know how this works out. Looks like it could be a PITA.

I would be incline to try and build B4 and B3 together as a cabinet with the middle shelf and rods outside of the closet and then slide it into place. Without some kind of fixed shelf in each section and the top attached I think you will have all kinds of trouble keeping this thing standing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks Shannon! I guess building as separate cabinets could also be an option.

Btw, I just realized that the boards with the holes only have holes on one side of it but in order to make the design as I showed in the picture above, B2 should have holes on both sides (essentially a through hole) so that pegs can be placed from both sides. Or other option could be to place two boards side by side with surface without the holes touching each other. What is the usual option people follow?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:39 am

Adding a second panel will reduce your shelf and storage space by 1-1/2", while that doesn't sound like much, it's a lot when it comes to hung clothing. I would simply drill the holes all the way through where you want to place the shelves. I would do several holes next to the one you want, just for some adjustability, without having to drill out every single hole. Get yourself a scrap block of 2x4, place it over the area where you will be drilling through and hold it tight, this will help prevent chipping of the hole. I'd also highly recommend using a brad point bit, as this will cut it's way cleanly, whereas a standard twist bit sort of just punches through, which will create more damage around the exit hole. If you want to drill out all the holes, lay the panel flat on a 2x4 where the holes will come through, then stand on the panel on either side of the hole being drilled to keep the panel tight against the backer, again, to prevent blowout around the exit hole.

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Hmm.. Actually another problem I am facing now is that the space above the cabinet is 1' which I originally thought was enough for me to go in there and drive screws vertically through B5 into the standing panels i.e. B1 to B4. That space doesn't seem to be enough, actually it is not the space above it is the remaining depth in the overall closet area. The total depth is 23.5" while the depth of standing panels is 15.75", so I am not left with much space to get myself above B5. :-( Any creative ideas there to still be able to put B5 as I originally planned?

Thinking if I should actually build separate cabinets with top B5 part screwed in before place the cabinet into the closet area but that requires me using two panels otherwise I wont be able to attach that B5 part in the second from left column of racks stack because I wont be able to drive screws from sides since that space will already be taken by B5 parts of leftmost column and rightmost column. :-(

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:30 pm

You will also have a problem installing completed cabinets into the closet if they are to fill the entire width. I would build two units with tops, one for each end of the closet. Between them will be room to install more adjustable shelving after they are installed. You could also slide a full length shelf in onto the top after they are in and screw it down up through thetas of the individual units. It won't take many screws, maybe a couple in each unit just to keep it in place.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:14 pm

B5 does not need to be a full depth panel, you can cut it down to 12" or so, which will give you more space to get in to run the screws. As for running screws, you doubtfully have enough space for your drill, so get yourself a right angle driver.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C0VSNKQ/

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Guys I finally decided to build the cabinets 1st also did a slight change in design by moving hanging space to the middle. I think I got everything installed pretty nicely, so I guess can call it success. Thanks for all the guidance. Here are some final product pics.
MVIMG_20181014_200640.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_200640.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 269 times
MVIMG_20181014_200635.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_200635.jpg (20.17 KiB) Viewed 269 times
MVIMG_20181014_200623.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_200623.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 269 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:48 pm

That should do the trick. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:25 am

SO I will assume you built the two end units and installed them first?