Fixing mortar joints in basement before finishing

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
travishauch

Fixing mortar joints in basement before finishing

Post by travishauch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 am

Hi. I have a couple questions on repairing the mortar joints in my pictures so they don't leak anymore. It's two spots within 2 feet of each other on the same wall. It is the only place where I've ever seen any water.

Prior to starting this project there was some black mold staining in these spots. I cleaned that up but noticed it was still getting damp. I started chiseling away at the joints and as you can see water started coming in. The farther I went into the mortar, the more water came in. It wasn't really any pressure, just a slow stream that stopped after a minute or two. I would like to get this sealed up so I can finish installing my XPS and start framing.

I was doing some research online and noticed a couple products that may help such as epoxy, hydraulic cement, polyurethane sealant. What do you recommend? Is there something I can inject inside those joints? I hope I didn't go too far in. The one on the left I bet is almost 3" in. The farther I was chiseling, the more it continued and I felt like I should keep going but maybe I shouldn't have. :oops: :oops:

Thank you for your time. You helped me tremendously last year when I replaced all the siding on my house. I greatly appreciate your videos and the time you devote to helping us diy'ers.

1.jpg
1.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 235 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 235 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 235 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 235 times

travishauch

Re: Fixing mortar joints in basement before finishing

Post by travishauch » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:29 am

Last night I shined a flashlight inside and realized it’s an open cavity between the bricks. I took a picture of the top of the blocks to show the design. There was still a little puddle inside so I used a straw and shop vac and to get it out.

Now I need to get this sealed off so I can finish.
Any ideas?
Attachments
D6A966A3-17D7-4B7E-B533-4BCAD2D956EB.jpeg
D6A966A3-17D7-4B7E-B533-4BCAD2D956EB.jpeg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 188 times
73587355-FED3-4581-9D73-EB81BABCED87.jpeg
73587355-FED3-4581-9D73-EB81BABCED87.jpeg (86.48 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Shannon

Re: Fixing mortar joints in basement before finishing

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:13 am

This is what will happen with block basements . Water gets into blocks from outside and they can actually trap water inside. They will slowly weep in or out but with a failed mortar joint the easiest drain is in that spot. You may have an issue with the exterior of the basement wall allowing moisture in. The only good way to fix that is excavating and getting the water proofing redone or fixed. I would recommend contacting a pro in your area to get their opinion on your situation.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon