Should I Get a Dehumidifier

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
ChaZz

Should I Get a Dehumidifier

Post by ChaZz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:52 am

We have some frost on our back door last year and it always seems like there is condensation on our back door knob as well (it's right below a heating vent).

The realtive humidity in the house today is 52% and it's just below 0 degrees Celsius outside right now. Usually the frost isn't a problem until it's gets below -15 or -20 degrees Celsius. I was just wondering if getting a dehumidifier or something would be worth it? What should a the humidity in the house be during the winter?

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Should I Get a Dehumidifier

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Not sure that is the problem as your humidity level is not that bad. Around 45 -50 is pretty normal. Seams pretty warm yet to be getting much condensation?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

ChaZz

Post by ChaZz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:23 am

We haven't seen any condensation this year, but last winter once it got cold we had some around the back door. I was just sort of wondering if maybe a humidifier might help or if it's just a waste of money.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:35 am

Do you have condinsation or frost. If it was frost at the edges of doors and door knobs that is a sign that there is cold air making its way through. I have not really found a fix for this with door knobs but for the door you may need new weather strips?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

ChaZz

Post by ChaZz » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:27 pm

It's actually a new door. We had them out twice last year replacing the weather stripping.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm

What type of weather stripping does it have? Can you post a picture?

ChaZz

Post by ChaZz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:02 pm

I actually posted about the ice on my back door on this forum last year. I'll link to thread as it has some pictures of the original weather stripping.

viewtopic.php?t=5889#p28970

No frost yet, but I have noticed a bit of condensation on the same door. That door gets really cold in the winter and it has vent blowing warm air on it, so any condensation tends to freeze.

It's around -10 Celsius today, so according to what I have read the humidity should be around 35%. I figured maybe if I reduced the humidity a bit, I could reduce the condensation around the door.

But, I wanted to check if my logic made sense.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Looks like that weather strip is the half round rubber type? If you pull it out ward lightly you can tuck 1/4” or 3/8” foam rod behind it. This forces it out further and allows better contact to the door.
The heat register blowing right on it likely is not helping but start with foam rod.

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:33 pm

If it's a foam filled metal door, it could be a bad knob install letting air inside, and if the foam is not adhered properly to the door, it could be letting in a cold draft of air IN the door, causing the issues you are mentioning. If that is the case, you have a defective door. I'd take the knob off and investigate all around the cavity.

ChaZz

Post by ChaZz » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 pm
Looks like that weather strip is the half round rubber type? If you pull it out ward lightly you can tuck 1/4” or 3/8” foam rod behind it. This forces it out further and allows better contact to the door.
The heat register blowing right on it likely is not helping but start with foam rod.
They have since replaced the weather stripping on the door twice since that photo. It replaced after the cold weather last winter so I guess we'll see if the problem is fixed this year. Also, we filled a void under the door with spay foam this summer after noticing an issue there last year as well. I figured maybe the humidity was an issues, but it sounds more like an issue with the door itself.

We'll monitor this winter and see if the new weather stripping helps. We won't waste money on a humidifier if humidity isn't the major issue.