Holes in drywall mud

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Post Reply
Brian78
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Holes in drywall mud

Post by Brian78 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and mudding and taping drywall. I had some holes I patched and I'm using all purpose joint compound. I ran 3 coats of mud and everything looked good, but upon closer inspection I noticed little holes all throughout my mud after it dried. How can I prevent this? How do I go about fixing this now? Should I just add a 4th coat of mud to just the places I see the holes or should I just leave it? I don't know if it will affect my paint job. Thanks for any help.
Attachments
IMG_20181109_171946.jpg
IMG_20181109_171946.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 156 times


User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4697
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Assuming you used premixed mud, the ready to use stuff, did you cream it in your pan before you put it on the wall?

Straight out of the box/bucket, premixed mud is a little too stiff to be working with, you need to thin it ever so slightly and "cream" it, meaning whip it up until is is a soft, smooth consistency. You can work it in a pan with your knife or you can mix it in a bucket in larger batches, just depends how much you have to do. Regardless, every single time you put mud into your pan, you want to work it until it is smooth and creamy, then you can start applying it to the wall.

That said, cream up one last bit of mud and go back over the spots where these dimples are. When dry, give it a light sanding and rub your hand over the surface, feeling for irregularities that need a little more mudding, mark these with a pencil and hit them again with mud. Repeating this process until the wall is to the finish level you are looking for.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Yup just force it into the holes , no need to cover the entire surface with a coat again. I find mudding over painted surfaces you get these bubbles more often.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Clarence
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Clarence » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 am

Depending on the type of mixer used you may have induced air into the mix & that will cause the voids in the finish.

Brian78
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Brian78 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:16 am

I seen a trick where some people put a little dish soap in mud, does this help? I don't have a mixer. I just used a paint stir stick to mix a little bit. Should I always add a little water to the premixed all purpose mud? I didn't add any water to it. Thanks for the help I appreciate it all.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am

Yes dish soap will help some, not really sure why it does but it can help. Not sure it will help as much if you are mixing with a stick in a pail.
If you are just mixing a little at a time in your tray then you will need very little soap. Mix in some water first to get the constancy you want (sour cream /pancake) and then mix in a drop of soap.
If mixing an entire pail use a whip and drill, add around a cup to cup and a half of water to get the constancy and then around a 1/4 ounce of soap.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

DanM
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:39 am

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by DanM » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 am

Shannon wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm
Yup just force it into the holes , no need to cover the entire surface with a coat again. I find mudding over painted surfaces you get these bubbles more often.
Ya mudding over painted walls is almost always the cause of this problem. I've heard it's because the 'backside' of the mud (against the paint) can't breathe so all the air has to come up through the surface and causes these little bubbles.

Usually what I do is wait until the first coat dries then give it a quick sanding. Sometimes the bubbles are just below the surface, the sanding opens them all up so they can be filled. I like to make sure they're open to be filled by the following coat, otherwise they might 'pop' and make the finish look crappy over time. Next I clean off the dust and do my second coat. Then I quickly sand again, clean off the dust, and fill any remaining the holes. After that I do my touch ups, skim coat (if needed), and final sanding like normal.

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4697
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:32 pm

I've never heard of using soap in your mud and wouldn't recommend it. The only times I can recall getting bubbles is when I didn't thin the mix or applied too heavily.

Yes I worked with a guy in commercial work and he used JOY liquid detergent in all of his mud. Never seemed to cause any issues at all.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Brian78
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Brian78 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Instead of using mud to fill the holes would it be better to just use spackle or no?

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4697
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:43 pm

I'd stick with mud.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:36 pm

DanM wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 am
Shannon wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm
Yup just force it into the holes , no need to cover the entire surface with a coat again. I find mudding over painted surfaces you get these bubbles more often.
Ya mudding over painted walls is almost always the cause of this problem. I've heard it's because the 'backside' of the mud (against the paint) can't breathe so all the air has to come up through the surface and causes these little bubbles.

Usually what I do is wait until the first coat dries then give it a quick sanding. Sometimes the bubbles are just below the surface, the sanding opens them all up so they can be filled. I like to make sure they're open to be filled by the following coat, otherwise they might 'pop' and make the finish look crappy over time. Next I clean off the dust and do my second coat. Then I quickly sand again, clean off the dust, and fill any remaining the holes. After that I do my touch ups, skim coat (if needed), and final sanding like normal.

I agree the painted surface will not absorb anything so air all makes its way to surface.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Brian78 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 pm
Instead of using mud to fill the holes would it be better to just use spackle or no?

Sparkle slides not sand nicely, mud is better for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Brian78
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by Brian78 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I ran another very thin layer over the holes and once dryed and sanded there are a few holes left. Do I need to fill every single hole? Will that be seen in the paint or will primer and paint fill that in?

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4697
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Holes in drywall mud

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:52 pm

If you see it now it will be a sore thumb after paint. Have no regrets, do it right the first time and be done with it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Reply