Securing a Safe to an Interior Brick Wall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
RickyS

Securing a Safe to an Interior Brick Wall

Post by RickyS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Team, Looking for some guidance from the group on a recent installation project of mine. I installed a medium sized safe to a brick wall in my basement with 2" lug bolts into plugs for brick. Clever and looks great I thought, until upon further thinking it, realized:

1 - it's in the basement, the first place of typical B&E entry.
2 - It's where all of my tools are, particularly PRY BARS if would-be intruders don't bring their own.
3 - The safe is small enough to be popped out a fully broken window for tampering elsewhere.

My question is this: what else could I do if I were to maintain the location of the safe? It works well where it is, and would prefer to work with it there - but open to relocation if absolutely necessary. The safe is attached to a wall where I do not have access to the other side.

Thoughts so far include adding more brick around it (unsure of how to do this) and/or other construction around. Another thought was to add a locked cabinet (again to the brick) around it fastening it to the brick wall in the same fashion.

I'd welcome some thoughts from the creative collective on here!

Thanks
Rick

Clarence

Re: Securing a Safe to an Interior Brick Wall

Post by Clarence » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:06 pm

install angle about with a 1/4 inch clearance around the top & both sides also install angle iron at the wall area the same as front the angle iron legs will be turned up & the other leg will be flat to the safe.
Fasten the side legs to the floor keeping all bolts inside. Than using heavy duty mesh like metal lath you could use chain link fence wire attach to the flat leg of the frame over the safe.

Now use a cement / Mortar mix & plaster the mesh say you used 1 inch channel you will have 1 inch of cement over the top & both sides with all fasteners inside the plastered fame. If you use a large mesh put some heavy paper on before you place the mesh this will keep the cement plaster from falling through.

RickyS

Post by RickyS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Here is a visual.
s (2).jpg
s (2).jpg (53.15 KiB) Viewed 119 times

RickyS

Post by RickyS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Thanks Clarence, I somewhat follow - you have me thinking about angle iron, mesh and cement! Maybe as a surround - I admit, I didn't clearly follow and envision what you were thinking exactly.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes pin the angle iron to the brick to frame the safe than you may have to weld angle to support the front picture frame. than the lath & cement plaster hiding all the fasteners .
You may have to make the frame before you attach it to the brick than lath it in place.

RickyS

Post by RickyS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign_Emoji_large.png
Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign_Emoji_large.png (18.43 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Thanks!

Welcome any other thoughts..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:47 am

Clarences suggestion would make it likely hardest to remove.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RickyS

Post by RickyS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks guys. Noodling on it further, I was also thinking of renting a mig welder for an hour or so and just spot-welding the fasteners to the angle iron - removing mess. Opens the door to attempts to pry the angle iron, whereas with the lath and cement, one would have to chip away at that first. 'Chime in' is you think this is a silly idea. Greatly appreciate the input gentlemen.

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 am

Yes spot welding the fasteners is a good idea also use the welder to weld the angle.
Think of putting a small micro switch behind the angle at the wall maybe a 24 volt to activate an alarm & hide the wires in the mortar joints than repoint the joint.

RickyS

Post by RickyS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm

That's awesome. Heck, manage to rip off the safe, how about some acid spray! :lol:

Thank you Gentlemen!