insulating and framing a basement

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
JERSEY JOE123

insulating and framing a basement

Post by JERSEY JOE123 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 am

I SAW YOUR VIDEO ON INSTALLING RIGID FOAM INSULATION TO BASEMENT WALLS. I WANT TO DO THE SAME WITH MY BASEMENT. I UNDERSTAND THE FOAM IS FLAMMABLE AND REQUIRES A FIRE BARRIER, SUCH AS SHEETROCK. I ASSUME THAT AFTER INSTALLING THE RIGID FOAM INSULATION IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WOULD BE INSTALLING A 2 X 4 STUD WALL AND MOLD RESISTANT, FIRE CODE SHEETROCK. IF SO DO YOU HAVE A VIDEO ON INSTALLING THE 2 X 4 STUD WALL? THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOUR VIDEOS ARE SO WELL DONE AND INFORMATIVE

Shannon

Re: insulating and framing a basement

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi Joe.
Yes framing walls in front of the foam accommodates may things in the basement such as plumbing, electrical, more insulation, air/vapour barrier as well as providing a surface to hang the drywall. I'm not sure that to many places require it to actually be fire rated drywall but standard 1/2" drywall or moisture /mould resistant drywall for sure. Drywall in general is somewhat fire resistant but there are 5/8" thick fire rated drywalls as well. In my area the foam surface is required to be covered with drywall and not left exposed. All of those questions can be answered with a call to your local building permit office, they can tell you what is required in your area for sure.

We have many basement related videos as well as other framing videos that should answer most of your questions so please check them out on our You Tube channel. If you still have questions absolutely come back here and have a look if you don't see existing topics for your question we should be able to talk you through them in a new thread.
Here is a link to the channel we have a long list of various videos as well as playlists with titles and groups of videos related to the topics listed.
https://www.youtube.com/user/HouseImpro ... _as=public
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

mccarthyk

Post by mccarthyk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 pm

I have watched the video on insulating basement walls and was wondering what type of anchor you use to keep the foam board in place?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:45 pm

in the video I use plastic anchors designed for 2" rigid foam. Some brands are Anchor and Hilti. I have since found that a Tapcon screw and fender washer are cheaper so that is what I use now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon