Insulation: what type to use?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Giz

Insulation: what type to use?

Post by Giz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:46 pm

My house will built in 1980. I have a basement that is kept warm from the boiler that provides baseboard heat for the first and second floors above the basement. This is not a crawl space. The floor joists between the basement and the first floor are exposed and not insulated. What type of insulation should I use? Rolled fiberglass or paper covered batts? If paper covered batts, how should they be installed (paper side up towards the flooring or paper side down towards the basement floor) Thanks!

Giz

Shannon

Re: Insulation: what type to use?

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:28 am

So why are you insulating the floor ( ceiling joists)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 pm

I am considering installing insulation between the floor joists in the basement so as to prevent cold air from the basement from leaking into the first floor. Yes, I realize cold air sinks and hot air rises. However, there are differences in pressure levels between the floors, correct? I live in New Hampshire.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:39 am

You could be getting a little cold from down there if it is considerably cooler then the main floor. I would use the rolled fibreglass IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Thanks!