Basement Insulation For Bottom Portion Only

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
dewi

Basement Insulation For Bottom Portion Only

Post by dewi » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 pm

I have to insulate the bottom portion of my basement (for a rebate on energy efficiency). My basement currently has fibreglass insulation half way down, so only need to do bottom portion. I have searched everywhere on how to best do this and can't find anything.

Is it best to remove the fibreglass insulation and just do the foam installation boards or is there a way of adding the foam boards to the bottom portion only?

Thanks

Shannon

Re: Basement Insulation For Bottom Portion Only

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:39 pm

So you currently have no framing I will assume.

You could install rigid foam insulation on the lower wall area and install up to just above the bottom of the builder insulation bags on the walls. You will need to protect that foam from fire exposure also so you will still need to likely frame, insulate and drywall a wall in front of it. If you did not want to do that then I would use a Roxul product called “comfortboard” this does not need to be covered to protect from fire but may need a air vapour barrier installed over it to meet the specs of your local building code authority?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

dewi

Re: Basement Insulation For Bottom Portion Only

Post by dewi » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks Shannon