Dog pee leaked through flooring upstairs, can smell it downstairs

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
CosmosisT

Dog pee leaked through flooring upstairs, can smell it downstairs

Post by CosmosisT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:47 pm

My puppy in training peed on the floor and it leaked through to the ceiling downstairs.

I'm not sure how to feel, what kind of a hole I got myself into with this situation but I need help/advice.

I don't know how much is affected but I can't go ripping down a full hall-way some bathroom/kitchen drywall. I can't either go in through the flooring upstairs.

Is there a product that I could use that'd eliminate these smells in a misting application?

I'm hopeful I could potentially as it'd be less invasive to poke holes and run a sprayer wand up and in and do a burst 360.

Any opinions/advice, would like to clear the smell and not have to dummy suspicious walls/locations.

Thanks again.

A. Spruce

Re: Dog pee leaked through flooring upstairs, can smell it downstairs

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:20 pm

All you can do is try. If drilling a few holes and spraying doesn't help, you can always replace drywall later.

The only other thing I can think of on the drywall side of things is to use a BIN primer to seal the stink in, you'll have to apply 3 or 4 coats, at least, to get it to work. On the floor side, not a lot you can do but allow Nature's Miracle or similar enzymatic solution to work it's way in from the same point the urine entered. Not sure what your flooring is, but if it's wood or pergo-like, it's probably going to swell from the moisture. Once swollen, it won't return to the way it was.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

CosmosisT

Post by CosmosisT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Yeah, that's probably what I may do, not sure there's a secret trick and if there is, it'd be the drilling holes and spraying (if that'll work)

I still need to paint but luckily the pee hasn't damaged the surface any, can pull my BIN out any-time that stuff is fantastic.

The flooring dates back WWII, its seen better days can't get worse; I'll probably be replacing it and adding in a leveled sub floor.

I'll track down some ingredients and give things a go, see where I get. Helps to get second thoughts on frustrating things. Thanks.

christoff

Post by christoff » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:38 am

I have used this and it works, do a search on it.
Nature's Secret

CosmosisT

Post by CosmosisT » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:38 am

I did a quick round with the Arm and Hammer Oxy Formula for pets and Fabreeze. So far the stink is gone. I'll probably follow up if need be with some Nature's Secret got a bottle shipping.

Don't think there will be a need for drywall removal or anything extensive.