leveling floor for vinyl planks installation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
lookiluke

leveling floor for vinyl planks installation

Post by lookiluke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello!

I'm installing vinyl plank flooring (floating) on wood subfloor, but have up to .5" unevenness in the floor. What's the best way to level the floor as much as possible before putting the vinyl planks down? A couple of suggestions I've been given (from friends, etc) are:

1. pour down floor leveler (only thing with this it's a large area, about 240 sqft, and on the 2nd floor, so am wondering if the added weight might make the unevenness worse overtime?)

2. use roofing shingles to fill in the low levels! never heard of this before, but the guys swears by it!

The subfloor is really hardwood flooring (not worth restoring) installed over plywood substrate, and it had carpeting over it before. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Shannon

Re: leveling floor for vinyl planks installation

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:18 pm

So is it up and down all over or just sloping 1/2" across the room?
Most LVP I believe is ok up to 1/4" changes in around 2-4 feet
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

lookiluke

Post by lookiluke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:23 pm

it's mostly in the middle of the room, i.e., as you go from one edge it slops down towards the center of the room and then picks back up towards the other edge of the room! So less pronounced around the perimeter and more so towards the center of the room.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:19 pm

In all honesty the flooring should be fine to install as is. Unless this dip really bothers you I would install right over the existing floor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

lookiluke

Post by lookiluke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Cool, ok, will go with it. thanks for the advice.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Lay the planks so they are not perpendicular to the dip, this way they will fit the contour better