Insulating top of foundation wall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jjkas

Insulating top of foundation wall

Post by jjkas » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 am

I’m finishing a portion of my basement where the exterior wall is sitting on a ~3 ft foundation wall. I am framing a half wall to cover the cement foundation wall, that will transition as a shelf. I’ve insulated the concrete wall with rigid foam as seen below.
IMG_0505.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 59 times
My question is whether I should insulate the top of the foundation wall that sticks out from the sill plate. See below.
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 59 times
My thought was to cut rigid foam to fit, (as seen below) then seal the crack in the corner with spray foam, and tape over that.
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Note that the house is 102 years old, and is definitely not tightly sealed, but I did a water test on the walls, and it is dry. Also, I live in Seattle, where it is very wet, but not particularly cold in winter or hot in summer. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shannon

Re: Insulating top of foundation wall

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes that will work very well for you. If you want you can also add bat insulation in the wall cavity for more R value as that thin foam does not give you much at all.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jjkas

Re: Insulating top of foundation wall

Post by jjkas » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:10 pm

I will put bat insulation in the short wall as well.
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback, and all of your videos!