Door size help

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
tpirovol

Door size help

Post by tpirovol » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Hey Guys,

So I need a door for the furnace room. The floor will be concrete with no flooring on top. I just measured the door and it is 79 3/4 x 31 3/4. I can get a 30” door but what about the height?

Thanks T

A. Spruce

Re: Door size help

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 pm

If you can't gain any more height, you may have to order a special size door. Make sure you take your rough opening measurements with you and compare them to what's on the shelf as well as verify the special order before you leave the store with it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 am

The measurements you gave us are those the RO?
If so then the width should be ok as long as the opening sides are pretty much plumb. For the height most doors need at least a 81-1/2" to 82-1/2" opening but depending on the door style you can likely cut some off the bottom to make it fit this opening. Here is a video for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBTd9_N8qg
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

tpirovol

Post by tpirovol » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 am

So should I go to HD and order a 78" by 30"? Or just cut it down?

Thoughts?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 am

If the door must have a threshhold I'd order it, if no threshhold then you can buy off the shelf and cut it yourself.

It isn't that you can't cut a door with a threshhold, it's just a whole lot more difficult to do it. As a novice, it will probably be a lot better for you to buy it already sized properly.

tpirovol

Post by tpirovol » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:00 pm

It doesn't need a threshold. I will go and find out from HD home much the difference is.

Thanks for all your help
T

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 pm

If you don't need a threshold, then just pick up a 30" door and cut it to fit. Super simple process. What I suspect is that you'll be able to shorten the legs of the jamb and not even have to touch the door panel itself. If you do have to cut the panel, again, no big deal.

As earlier mentioned, make sure you have your rough opening measurement and that the RO is plumb, as this will affect your ability to fit the door. You really need about a 1/4" of space between door jamb and framing to be able to plumb and fit the door properly.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:00 pm

I would think a custom sized door will be a premium and also take a couple weeks?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon