Asbestos tiles

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
home_owner36

Asbestos tiles

Post by home_owner36 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:26 am

I am currently renovating my basement in my bi-split leve house. When I was ripping up the carpet, I discovered 9 x 9 vinyl tiles. Most of the tiles are in good condition with only a few pieces missing. The house was built in 1956, so I am treating the tiles as asbestos tiles.

Currently, the carpet tacks are nailed in and there are hundreds of staples in the tiles to hold down the rug pad. If I want to replace the carpet, what are my options as to not disturb the tile? Do I need to have an asbestos abatement, encapsulate the tiles before replacing with a carpet or new vinyl flooring, or can I just cover with a new rug pad/vapor barrier?

Shannon

Re: Asbestos tiles

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:50 am

You are correct to assume those tiles have asbestos, they are the right size and vintage and will almost certainly have some amount in them IMO. If the tiles are in good shape I would just install new pad and carpet, disturbing the tiles as little as possible.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

home_owner36

Post by home_owner36 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 am

Shannon wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:50 am
You are correct to assume those tiles have asbestos, they are the right size and vintage and will almost certainly have some amount in them IMO. If the tiles are in good shape I would just install new pad and carpet, disturbing the tiles as little as possible.
Thank you for the information. If I have to replace a tack strip, I would like to glue it down instead of nailing in a new tack. Any suggestions on glue to use?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:59 pm

The glue will only be as good as the how well the tile is stuck down. I personally would scrape the tile up in that area and then use PL adhesive to glue down the strip. Be careful removing the tile so you don't get any dust airborne anymore then needed but really for the 3-4 tiles you may need to remove it is no problem IMO. Wear a good mask and damp wipe the area after instead of sweeping or vacuuming.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

KevP

Post by KevP » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:32 pm

My 2 cents here. I had same situation in my 30x15 family room. Asbestos tile and mastic. I had it professionally removed. However the guy doing it also mentioned that you have to do a lot to release any harmful amount in the air. One small area wont do anything. Just spray with water if you need to scrap it. You have to literally make it into powder by sanding it to release any amount that is not good
Asbestos exposure is also more of amount and length. One time expsure is not good but won't kill you. Most people who got lunch cancer worked with asbestos on daily basis for a long time. Even breaking the tiles wont release much or anything at all. For me they pour some water and solvent and used floor grinders to take care of the mastic. Tiles were removed first with a floor scraper. Usually mastic has more fibers in it that the tiles

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm

KevP wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:32 pm
My 2 cents here. I had same situation in my 30x15 family room. Asbestos tile and mastic. I had it professionally removed. However the guy doing it also mentioned that you have to do a lot to release any harmful amount in the air. One small area wont do anything. Just spray with water if you need to scrap it. You have to literally make it into powder by sanding it to release any amount that is not good
Asbestos exposure is also more of amount and length. One time expsure is not good but won't kill you. Most people who got lunch cancer worked with asbestos on daily basis for a long time. Even breaking the tiles wont release much or anything at all. For me they pour some water and solvent and used floor grinders to take care of the mastic. Tiles were removed first with a floor scraper. Usually mastic has more fibers in it that the tiles
You are very correct with all statements , Soooo many people hear "asbestos " and go running for the hills hoping to not fall dead in their tracks before they get far enough away. I never like to have people be to lax over precaution with it however , in this case though it really will be a very low risk. If tiles are being covered with carpet like this situation and the tiles are well stuck I would go over them every time just so I don't have to deal with the mastic under them.
thanks for your comments!