Before painting after sanding Question

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
tpirovol

Before painting after sanding Question

Post by tpirovol » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:19 pm

Hey Guys,

My drywaller is almost done should be finished sanding Monday. I have been reading online that some people recommend cleaning the walls before they paint and some say just paint.

What do you recommend?
Thanks T

A. Spruce

Re: Before painting after sanding Question

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:46 pm

I brush the surfaces down with a clean foxtail broom or my bare hand to knock down the majority of the dust, then it's two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Use good quality products for best and longest lasting results.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Yup i agree, I also sand between the coats of paint. A quick once over with a pole sander and fine grit drywall paper will knock off any lint/ dust bumps and leave you a much smoother final coat. We really never texture walls here but if we did then this sanding step would not be needed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

tpirovol

Post by tpirovol » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks Guys,

Last question have you guys tried either of these zero VOC paints? Since this will be a kids play room just wondering if this is just as good as the normal stuff? I was thinking of just using the Emerald which is the best they sell with low VOC but not Zero.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... ylic-latex
or
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/int ... tura-paint

Thanks T

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 am

IMO, low voc only applies to the wet product, once dry, regardless of what it is, there is little to no off-gassing. I've used low VOC SW paint, it smells just as strong as anything else you might use as you're applying it. Once dry, most paint has zero odor.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:09 am

I use Benjamine Moore Aura paint all the time.I have not had issues with it at all.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon