Laminate flooring near front door

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
gsahlot

Laminate flooring near front door

Post by gsahlot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 pm

I am almost done installing the laminate floor in living room except few plans near the main/front door where I am struggling. See the pic how it looks from inside.
frontdoor1.jpg
frontdoor1.jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 77 times
frontdoor2.jpg
frontdoor2.jpg (111.64 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Here is a closer look, note that we have carpet earlier.
frontdoor3.jpg
frontdoor3.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 77 times
I took out the screws whatever I could see. There were screws with big head on that plasticy part and then there were screws in the grove once I took out the plasticy part. So it looks like this now.
frontdoor4.jpg
frontdoor4.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 77 times
While everything is unscrewed, nothing more comes out. Not sure how to deal with this.

Got some questions on this:
1. Am I supposed to remove that wood part which has old carpet traces? I think so, right?
2. How do I remove the stuff on top that wooden piece? Don't want to damage the gold looking metalic thing. It looks in really good condition.
3. Even if I get the wooden piece out, should I install the floor under this thing? Or only outside and use some sort of moulding like T-moulding or reducer? Sorry I am not very novice in my understanding of mouldings so I might be talking about completely wrong moulding here.

Shannon

Re: Laminate flooring near front door

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 pm

You want to pry off that carpet tack (wood strip) it should just be butted up against the door threshold. If it is under the threshold then use a sharp chisel to cut it free. Put the door threshold back together ,you did not need to remove any of that.
The flooring gets installed up to the door and usually there would be a slight space needed t be left for floating floors. You can then use a small trim of some kind along the door threshold to cover that gap.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon