Freeze on Exterior Windows

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mrnaja

Freeze on Exterior Windows

Post by mrnaja » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:16 am

What does it mean if my exterior windows are freezing in the upper floor? Is it something to do with Roof?

A. Spruce

Re: Freeze on Exterior Windows

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:34 am

I assume you're referring to frost on the inside of the window. This is a product of condensation, warm moist air within the house is hitting the cold glass, which condenses the water out of the air. Once the water is on the glass, it can then freeze. This is probably a combination of high humidity within the house and poor airflow over the windows to dry the condensation.

Remedies, open up window coverings for added airflow, turn on the ceiling fan so that it draws air upwards across the ceiling and down the walls. Test the humidity level within the house.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

I agree to all of the above
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mrnaja

Post by mrnaja » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 pm

So I did the fan option and it worked however the frost is back again.

How do I test the humidity or what kind of service must I ask for help?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 am

You can buy a simple indoor thermometer that also has a humidity gauge as well. Normal humidity levels can be different in different areas and a different times of year but the main recommendation for comfort and to not promote mould growth in your home is 40-50% humidity. In colder periods during winter below (-20C) (0F) you may need to reduce it to closer to 20-30%.
Now many things come in to play with humidity in your home proper ventilation of bathrooms and cooking areas, and type of windows and weather are the main ones. Dual or triple pane windows will be best to not allow much moisture to form. Single pane windows will be worst. If you get it to dry in your home you get more static electricity and maybe even dry nose and throats that are irritated.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon