Cold spot on floor (with thermal image)

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Ameds

Cold spot on floor (with thermal image)

Post by Ameds » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:52 am

When walking barefoot, I always noticed that there one area on my hardwood flooring that was noticeable cold to the touch. Sure enough, I grabbed the thermal camera the results confirmed my suspicion. The area in question is about 4-5C cold than the rest of the floor.

The area in question is right outside of a bedroom doorway. It’s a bungalow and the floor beneath this area is the basement.

I can rule out water leaking because no water lines are running in this area. There is HVAC ductwork, however, and the HRV is almost directly under the affected area. It’s really cold outside when I took the thermal reading, so I’m thinking potential air leaking from the incoming air for the HRV?

Any input before I start pulling drywall?
Attachments
20190117_073804.jpg
20190117_073804.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Shannon

Re: Cold spot on floor (with thermal image)

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Yes I would say that is for the issue. Those Units can have cold areas. Can you slide a piece of foam between it and the joists to isolate the cold from going upwards?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon