Divets/Tears in Vinyl Sheet?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jamesgeiger

Divets/Tears in Vinyl Sheet?

Post by jamesgeiger » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello! I have something going on with my kitchen floor. I am not sure if it is Linoleum or Vinyl, but it is one big sheet and there are a couple divets and tears in it. Is there any epoxy or silicone I can use to prevent further damage and tearing? I do not have any of the material to try and patch it, so I am thinking of using the epoxy or silicone.

Some images are here: https://imgur.com/a/OkNfASx

Thanks in advance!

A. Spruce

Re: Divets/Tears in Vinyl Sheet?

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Unfortunately, that site doesn't work on my computer. You can upload images directly using the "attachment" button below the response box.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi please see attached
Attachments
floor-damage-2.png
floor-damage-2.png (689.37 KiB) Viewed 57 times
floor-damage-1.png
floor-damage-1.png (689.43 KiB) Viewed 57 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:25 pm

That's definitely a gouge from something, it didn't "just happen". The good news is that you can probably glue it back down with some vinyl glue and then use vinyl seam sealer to seal it up. Seam sealer will help to keep the edges down so they can't catch on things as well as keep moisture out from under the patch and having it lift again.

That's also definitely a modern vinyl, if you know the age of the house or when any major remodel work was done, you should be able to date it relatively easily. The only reason this matters is that different vinyl products require different glues/handling. This looks to be a full glue style vinyl, so any vinyl mastic will work.

If you can lift the vinyl from this damage spot, then it may be perimeter glued, which used a combination of double stick tape and mastic to hold it down. Not sure if this style of vinyl needed a special glue or not, memory recalls that it was a thinner, almost rubber cement kind of glue, as opposed to a mastic which is a very thick product that is troweled on with a serrated trowel.

Hope this helps. 8-)

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 pm

wow thanks for the detailed reply!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:29 pm

You're welcome.