Insulating Wall Between Cellar

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
badali

Insulating Wall Between Cellar

Post by badali » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi,

I have a framed 2x4 wall between a cold cellar in and a conditioned kitchen area in the basement. What is the appropriate way to insulate something like this?

Here is a pic (cellar has the window).
IMG_20190125_221725-01.jpeg
IMG_20190125_221725-01.jpeg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Ideally I would use rigid foam on the cellar side to provide a good thermal break but not sure how to protect/cover it.

Thanks again,

Anthony

Shannon

Re: Insulating Wall Between Cellar

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:04 pm

Well removing the drywall and insulating the wall is the main way. You could also add foam and cover it with drywall again. A insulated door or at least weather stripping add to the existing door will help with drafts also.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

badali

Post by badali » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks again Shannon! I'm happy to open up the walls but wasn't sure roxul would perform well without moisture barrier.

Based on your suggestions I will put roxul between the studs and then foam against the studs on the cold side and then drywall right against the foam board.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:21 am

Technically you should have a vapour barrier.
That cool room should not be as cold as the outside air so I would remove the drywall and add a well sealed vapour barrier and Roxul and re drywall and be done. You could even do this from the cool room side although not as easily. In fact why not do that and leave it undrywalled for a few days to see if you think you want add the foam before drywalling? Seal that door up you will get lotsa drafts from it for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

badali

Post by badali » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks that's a great idea. Just to confirm, I will install the vapour barrier on the warm side and wrap it around the studs then apply the roxul.

Luckily the door is an external door but it definitely needs weather stripping.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 am

Yes correct, vapour barrier on warm side.