plastic shower stall 32 x 48

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mozart

plastic shower stall 32 x 48

Post by mozart » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:51 pm

I've gone to home depot and they basically have 4 piece shower stalls. What is the leak experience with a 4 piece shower stall.
My guy said I should use rock board on the walls but the new showers are stud mounts. They don't need backing. I do have some water resistant 1/2" sheet rock I could use from floor to ceiling. which would be okay for finishing around the perimeter of the stall. What would the preferred method be?

In Shannon's video he does not show how to finish the walls around the shower. does the sheet rock butt the edges or go over he edges of the shower stall.

mozart

Re: plastic shower stall 32 x 48

Post by mozart » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:55 pm

also, I am bringing the floor to the joist and starting new. What would be preferred. 3/4 of 5/8 plywood and Hardi board? then tiles.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Ok, seems you're mixing terms and products in your questions.

If by "plastic" you actually mean plastic, vinyl, or FRP panels, these are very thin panels that are glued to the drywall and caulked into place. They are meant for very short term use, lasting one to five years before the wall behind them is destroyed and you have to replace the whole nine yards.

If by "plastic" you mean a fiberglass unit, these are installed on bare studs, the quality level depends on the price and where you purchase it. Anything you buy at a big box is a very low quality unit. These are cheaply made, mass produced, all for the big box market. If you buy a fiberglass unit from a plumbing supplier, it is likely to be a much higher quality product. "Plumbing supplier" is referring to suppliers that sell to the professional installer, not a boutique shop or big box that use designer names to imply a better product than what they're actually selling.

As for the tile, the thicker and more stable your base is, the better results and longer life you will get out of your tile. Without knowing what you currently have, it is hard to suggest a course of action for your needs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 pm

I am assuming that you are referring to a fiberglass /acrylic shower stall unit. 4 pc units usually are comprised of a one piece base and 3 separate pieces to make up the wall sections. These are installed right on the sub floor and against the bare framing. Drywall is then installed up to the mounting flanges and then finished one of two ways. #1 fill the remaining gap with drywall compound and once dry then apply mud and drywall joint tape to fix the space.
#2 install a ceramic or porcelain tile boarder around the perimeter to cover the gap.

I do have a video showing the tile method.

For the floor , you must be referring to the rest of the room outside of the shower unit?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Here is the link to my video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9GDsbOVM4
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mozart

Post by mozart » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 am

I took the floor down to the floor joist. Should I use 3/4 plywood. Any special type? does the hardi board for the floor tile go under the shower base or butts to the base?
I watched your video on the tile installation for the 4 piece shower stall. It looks like the wallboard is pretty level with the shower stall panel. If the stall is mounted to the studs then how is the 1/2" sheet rock not sticking out too much and causing a void behind the edge tile? in your video the wall board looks flush.

If the big box store shower units are low quality (American Standard). What brands would you recommend? Does a 4 piece have a tendency to leak?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 pm

Install the 3/4 ply on entire floor you only need tile butting to the shower base though.

You can fill the void with drywall mud and sand flat.

I personally have not found all of the big box stores to be cheap shower products. When you look at the brand ( American standard in your case) on their own website they usually have those same models there as well.

Usually the four piece fiberglass units are pretty good IMO