gap b/w laminate floor and baseboards

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
gsahlot

gap b/w laminate floor and baseboards

Post by gsahlot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm

I am installing the baseboards after installing the new laminate flooring. Floor seems to be installed fairly well but when installing the baseboards along long walls (6+ ft), I am noticing that in some places, the baseboard is not sitting on the floor flat. Maybe the floor goes up and down in that much length or the baseboard (MDF) is slightly bent. Do I need to worry about this?
baseboard on floor gap.jpg
baseboard on floor gap.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 138 times
baseboard on floor gap closeup.jpg
baseboard on floor gap closeup.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Also, should I just caulk the gap b/w baseboard and flooring? I want to caulk as I think that will also prevent insects from coming into the room from inside the wall. Would it look bad after caulking? Would there be any issue due to caulking when laminate floor expands/shrinks due to weather change?

A. Spruce

Re: gap b/w laminate floor and baseboards

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm

Did you apply any downward pressure on the baseboard when you were installing it to get rid of the gap? Most of the time this will close all but the worst of gaps. Another thing you can do is contour the bottom of the baseboard to the floor if it can't be flexed enough.

Can you caulk the gap, yes, however, if you have much movement the caulk will crack. It's not ideal, but will work.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I did apply downward pressure when installing but looks like this one had bad gap so couldn't get rid of it all.

How about using that stretch caulk which you suggested in the other post i.e. https://www.amazon.com/Sashco-Performan ... ig+stretch

Although the label on that caulk doesn't suggest to be used for trims. Says doors, windows and sidings. :-(

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Also in general do people apply caulk b/w floor and baseboards regardless of small, big or no gaps?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 pm

If this gap is in a hallway, you won't likely get enough movement in the floor to affect anything, just use a latex caulk.

Base is usually caulked against solid surfaces, such as vinyl or tile. It is not generally caulked against wood/laminates because of the movement of the flooring.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:37 am

I myself would either leave it, contour the baseboard to fit the floor if its only a couple places or I would add a "shoe" moulding around the room as well. A shoe moulding is just a small cove or quarter round piece that will easily flew to the contour of the floor and is added along the bottom of the higher baseboard to cover these gaps.
If this is in a hallway it is not likely it is very noticeable when standing walking. Laying on the floor looking directly at it like in the picture it looks worse of course.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon